Confused About Droid At Amazon

nooter99

Reaction score
I've read several threads about Amazon selling the droid for $20, and when I asked if it was for new contracts only, several people confirmed that the $20 price was also good for upgrades to existing lines. My problem is, when I go to Amazon, at the right side of the page they ask you to choose what option you want, when I pick "Buy with a contract extension (upgrade)" the next page then asks again to choose between "New Contract" or "Upgrade my phone (existing customer)" When I pick "Upgrade my phone" the price jumps from $20 to $130! What am I missing here?? I have attached a couple of jpegs to illustrate what I'm talking about. My wifes line is eligible for an upgrade, and I'd really like to get her a Droid for an anniversary present next week, please help!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not just terminate your existing contract and start anew? Assuming you're at the end of your 2-year commitment, then it should be the same process....

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
Don't think I can do that, hers is one line of three on the contract (family plan), the other two were renewed in December when I bought myself and my daughter droids.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got it. My bad.

It sounds like that deal just isnt good anymore. I'd call someone and see what they can do for you. Maybe Verizon can help you out. I honestly dont think anyone here will be able to help you as much as the retailers.

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. Actually, it was like that (the $130 thing) a few weeks back when it was first posted here on the forums. Just thought I'd see if anyone has actually bought from Amazon for $20 when doing an upgrade, and when they may have done it. Several people have mentioned Wirefly also, I was just hoping to use Amazon, I had never heard of wirefly until a few weeks ago, feel a little more comfortable using Amazon, but not for $130!! LOL.

jmw

Reaction score
I just upgraded my verizon line and got the droid, car dock, media dock for 19 through letstalk.com. It was called the professional bundle. I"m not sure if the deal is still on, but you can check. Also, I was the primary line on the account, as my wife is not ready to upgrade until January. I'm not sure if that is the reason you are running into trouble with amazon. I am very pleased with my lets talk.com experience. Good Luck!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying. Actually, it was like that (the $130 thing) a few weeks back when it was first posted here on the forums. Just thought I'd see if anyone has actually bought from Amazon for $20 when doing an upgrade, and when they may have done it. Several people have mentioned Wirefly also, I was just hoping to use Amazon, I had never heard of wirefly until a few weeks ago, feel a little more comfortable using Amazon, but not for $130!! LOL.

Unless you're in a hurry and you want to use Amazon, I'd suggest checking the site on a frequent basis. I upgraded my wife to a Droid through Amazon for $49.95 a couple of months ago when both new and extended contracts were the same price. Then there was a period in which both new contracts and upgrades were going for $19.95 and another when the $19.95 price applied only to new contracts and $49.95 to extensions. And now, as you've discovered, the very cheap price is for new contracts only and a much higher price (though still less than VZW) for extensions.

In short, these things change on more or less a weekly basis. Keep an eye on the site and you may be able to snag a better price.

It's also worth noting, by the way, that Amazon does not actually fulfill these orders. They're done by a third party and I believe (though I'm not sure) it is the same outfit that does the fulfillment for Wirefly. I'm personally inclined to stick with Amazon (as you are) simply because I've dealt with them for a long time and found the company to be reliable if I run into trouble. But you may well find (as a number of others have) that Wirefly is also a reliable vendor.

In short,

Warweasel

Reaction score
You might want to look at Wal-Mart's cell site. I think they're still $19.99, even with an upgrade. walmart.letstalk.com

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
Looks like walmart.letstalk.com has the Droid for $19.99 with an upgrade right now, at least on the primary line.