Configuring Long press search button

Moos

Reaction score
Does anyone know any way to change the default on when you long press the search button? it defaults to open voice search. I recently downloaded an app called quick settings which is supposed to open when i long press search and would to configure the X to do so. But to no avail I can not figure out how to change it from the voice search command. Any ideas?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid. When I long press the search soft key a new window opens which allows me to select Handcent or Voice Search. I do not remember adding the Handcent app to any additional setting that would include it as an option. My sense is the OS added it for me. If that is the case then I imagine that there is an apk that you can modify to accomplish what you are requesting. Unfortunately, what apk that may be and where is it located is above my knowledge base.

Mike

OP
M

Moos

Reaction score
*Bump* Anyone? i'm starting to think it's not possible. i'm not rooted BTW.

lterry913

Reaction score
long press home

I worked with the develpoer of* in app wifi widget* to get this to work for a non roote user(like myself). We could not find a work around so I installed quick settings instead...it lets you pull down notification bar from any page and toggle a multitude of settings and and then just hit back to return...I hope this helps because there is no work around iI have heard of yet...Developer says it is because the buttons are physical touch and Push instead of touch sensor, so hardware issue.

OP
M

Moos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I Guess I will just use the quick settings app from the notification bar. not as convenient but still better than having that ugly power control widget on my screen.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Disregard this not awake yet and read your post wrong.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yup press the menu key after pressing the search button for that :)