Complicated Droid 2 bootloop and SBF flash problem

Somnambulist

Reaction score
So at some point along my installing of OS I seemed to have bricked my phone. We'll start off with I was running the leaked Gingerbread OS 2.3.20 I think. I decided I was tired of the buggy OS, so I installed Liberty 0.8 for Gingerbread. Everything worked just fine. I was messing around with some of the Liberty toolbox settings (changing the home screen from Launcher2 to ADW to Motoblur) and after I rebooted from changing to the Motoblur launcher, my phone loaded up to the unlock screen. I went to unlock it and nothing loaded. No wallpaper, no homescreen buttons, no widgets. Just the notification bar. The menu button, search button were nonresponsive. Home button didn't do anything, but if I hit it twice it brought up voice commands. I could access the notification bar and access messages through there and whatnot but I couldn't get back to my settings to change the launcher.

So next I rebooted into clockwork mod, wiped data and cache and attempted to reinstall Liberty 0.8 but it failed. I don't quite remember the reason it failed, though I do remember it saying something about the file being corrupt? Not 100% sure on that though. So I figured I could wipe cache and data again and try to install a different OS, so I did that and attempted to install Zombiestomped GB OS. It too failed, and again I don't remember the specific reason why. I want to say something to do with the radio not loading correctly, not sure.

So at this point I just don't want to brick my phone, so I attempt to load the backup I made before flashing to Liberty 0.8 rom in clockwork recovery. Restore worked and I battery pulled and rebooted and all I got was the Motorola M bootlogo. Doesn't load anything after that. So I attempted to get back into clockwork recovery and I could not. Just gives me the Android with the exclamation point.

I start looking into the SBF process so I can recover my phone from this mess. Started with this thread here:

Droid 2 Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted

Downloaded the SBF, downloaded RSDLite 4.8, downloaded the motorola drivers. Followed instructions but couldn't get RSDLite to recognize my Droid2, even though I managed to get it into bootload mode. Registers SOMETHING is plugged in (S flash or something I think) and says connected but when I select the SBF file I can't hit the start button to start the flashing process.

I started googling around a bit and find the guide on XDA Developers for SBF for the Droid 2.

Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

Basically the same story. Try RSDLite 4.7, RSDLite 4.7 with patch and RSDLite 4.9 and they either don't detect anything at all, or I get the same thing as before and unable to flash. I have tried all four versions of RSDLite, ran them all in Administrator, as well as Windows XP SP3 and SP2 compatibility mode. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop. Also downloaded the different drivers listed on the XDA Developers Guide, though I am not sure how to install/use them. The install guide on the Motorola website seems to be outdated and the drivers themselves for old school flip phones and/or other non-smartphones.

My theory is it is a driver issue. I think I am not using the correct drivers. Is there any other drivers besides the ones I've tried? I also attempted this using the drivers the Droid 2 itself installs when you plug it into a USB port.

So, any ideas fellas? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to cover all the bases on my process to give you guys the most information possible.

Thanks.

OP
S

Somnambulist

Reaction score
Disregard this or close this thread. Somehow figured it out... :icon_ banana:

troglodyte

Reaction score
I hate it when people end a thread like this.. can you briefly say what you figured out?

dancedroid

OP
S

Somnambulist

Reaction score
I figured out how to flash the SBF file haha. I caught a tip reading some random thread mentioning issues with flashing being that the file name was too long or something like that. So I renamed my SBF file to one word and low and behold it worked.

:icon_ banana:

troglodyte

Reaction score
Aha cool.. good trick to know. :) May I ask you ... where one finds the right SBF to flash to their phone? <-- something I am struggling with.

Thanks for posting your trick :heart: