Completely new to droid: basic questions

NyR424

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If this is not in the right spot, feel free to move. This is my first smartphone and I have some basic questions that I cant seem to find the answers to, so I'll post here:

1) Is GPS navigation included with the 29.99 data plan?
2) Is there a way to quickly link/unlink contacts between phone and facebook or you have to do them separately?
2a) I dont want my contact to be listed as a facebook profile name, for instance I want my dad to be listed in my phone as "dad", not his actual name. It seems when I linked him to facebook, "dad" was automatically changed everywhere in the phone to his full name.
3) For the quick contact widgit, is there anyway to have the name displayed across the picture? Before linked, it was a blank blue head with a name. Now its just a profile picture with no name.
4) How do I get music and movies? Are they free? Can I get my iTunes music linked?

Thanks for all your help! These questions may seem simple or silly, but any help you may have would be greatly appreciated.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hi everyone,

If this is not in the right spot, feel free to move. This is my first smartphone and I have some basic questions that I cant seem to find the answers to, so I'll post here:

1) Is GPS navigation included with the 29.99 data plan?
2) Is there a way to quickly link/unlink contacts between phone and facebook or you have to do them separately?
2a) I dont want my contact to be listed as a facebook profile name, for instance I want my dad to be listed in my phone as "dad", not his actual name. It seems when I linked him to facebook, "dad" was automatically changed everywhere in the phone to his full name.
3) For the quick contact widgit, is there anyway to have the name displayed across the picture? Before linked, it was a blank blue head with a name. Now its just a profile picture with no name.
4) How do I get music and movies? Are they free? Can I get my iTunes music linked?

Thanks for all your help! These questions may seem simple or silly, but any help you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I can answer a few of these. What device you have may help to know. But I think you have a DX by your 3rd question
1) yes
2) I believe you can sort them by all contacts, or phone contacts.
3) not sure, haven't been able to play with my wifes X and D1 doesn't have this.
4)some are free some are paid, as far as itunes some can be moved over. There is a program you can get that does this but I can't remember its name at the momment.
$.02, spend it as you please.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
First, Welcome to the Forum

I can answer a few of your questions

GPS is free with your Data Package :)

It is possible to easily link/unlink facebook/phone contacts you can link all of your facebook contacts or just the ones that are already in your phone as contacts

I have never tried to change facebook profile names within my contacts, but I am sure there is a way to merge the two and keep the name of your choice

For the quick contact widget I am guessing you either have a Droid X or 2 with MotoBlur, I can't help in that department

As far as Music and Movies you put them on your SD card Movies in a folder named Video and MP3's in a file named Music and your Device will recognize the correct files via the App you are trying to use ie: Video or Music Player

Also there is an app to sync your itunes but I am not sure what it is called, but it does exist

I hope this helps

OP
N

NyR424

Reaction score
First, Welcome to the Forum

I can answer a few of your questions

GPS is free with your Data Package :)

It is possible to easily link/unlink facebook/phone contacts you can link all of your facebook contacts or just the ones that are already in your phone as contacts

I have never tried to change facebook profile names within my contacts, but I am sure there is a way to merge the two and keep the name of your choice

For the quick contact widget I am guessing you either have a Droid X or 2 with MotoBlur, I can't help in that department

As far as Music and Movies you put them on your SD card Movies in a folder named Video and MP3's in a file named Music and your Device will recognize the correct files via the App you are trying to use ie: Video or Music Player

Also there is an app to sync your itunes but I am not sure what it is called, but it does exist

I hope this helps
Thanks for the info. How can I do this part?

AZDroid09

Reaction score
If you use the built in facebook on the Droid X it auto syncs all your facebook friends to your contacts, but if you skip the built in one and download the one from the market you will have the option to sync with all, only existing contacts, or none. So I would remove your facebook account/log out from the native Messaging app and then download the Facebook app from the Market if you don't want all facebook peeps in your contacts.

tomtapple

Reaction score
the app to sync itunes with your droid music is called doubletwist. I do not have personal experience but just decided to use the good old cut and paste method. there is a youtube video that describes exactly how to do this. do a search for droid x apps itunes and you should find it.

npro1464

Reaction score
GPS is free. Use Google Maps. Please don't pay Verizon $15 extra a month for VZ Navigator. Please dont!!