Complete Novice!

DaRONI

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just purchased my first smart phone, a Galaxy S4 and I have a couple of questions. I am a complete novice at this so excuse me if my questions seem a bit basic. I have a lmited data plan, so I'd like to make sure that all apps that I do not need running are turned off to save data usage and battery life. I haven't been able to find this. Can someome tell me how to do this? Also is there a quick way to turn the phone to vibrate? I need to keep the phone on vibrate at work and haven't found that option either.

Right now I am feelng completely lost so I think I'll go peruse the boards for more information, but if anybody can help me out with these basic questions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

GVLBob

Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum. As you can see, I'm pretty much a novice myself.

Regarding your data plan, one thing you might want to enable is "auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only" in the Settings for the Play Store. Another is to check "Auto-connect" in the Wi-Fi settings (under Connections).

Unless you stream music or movies or play games, you ought to be OK. But watch your data usage during your initial weeks. And you can set a notification for when you get close to your monthly limit. That is under Data usage in the Connections tab of your Settings.

There is a thread here on extending battery life. I would read those posts for suggestions.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
I save battery and bandwidth by not allowing my S4 to do pretty much anything without me initiating the request. That includes any of the live widgets and E-Mail. An app called Onavo Counts will tell you what app is using how much data, which is a good way to find apps you may need to adjust.

For vibration settings - my device - call - ringtones and sound

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Welcome. If you hold down the power button a screen pops up that allows you to put the phon on vibrate. Also holding the volume button down achieves this. There are widgets that allow you to put in vibrate mode with the touch of a button.

GVLBob

Reaction score
To switch to vibrate, you can also pull down the Notification Bar and use the "Sound" toggle to switch modes (Sound/Vibrate/Mute).

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Silent Time is an app that allows you to set up recurring times when you want your phone silent/vibrate. It also has a widget that you can put on your home screen to do it with one touch. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
DaRONI, welcome to the forum.

Others, thank you for being so helpful and not even once thinking of just telling them to go search for their problem first. You continue to make this a great forum to be a part of.

OP
DaRONI

DaRONI

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your tips and pointers. I've found most of the initial things I couldn't locate. I'm still learning my way around but I've learned a lot just scanning this forum.

Thanks again.
DA

solar

Reaction score
Also, under Settings, Data Usage, you can set the phone to alert you when you hit a certain threshold. You can even set it to turn off mobile data usage when it exceeds your data limit.