New user needs help please

indio1919

Reaction score
Hi new here and the nexus is the only smart phone I have ever owned.
Do I need any protection like computer virus software? I downloaded juice protection for the battery to make it more efficient is it worth it? I'm a complete novice! Any apps I should get? Seems some don't work so well yet with the nexus?
thanks
Richard

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

doublea500

Reaction score
few things
1. may i ask where you live/how you bought the galaxy nexus?
2. you can if you want to be safe. just dont go out downloading things from the market that have bad reviews/untrusted developers. when i get the phone im probably going to get an antivirus because the phone can handle it. lookout security i believe is free and popular, i havnt really used it so i cant say much about it.
3. dont open email attachments that you have no idea what they are. (especially if they are in your spam folder)
3. welcome to the forums!

OP
I

indio1919

Reaction score
Thanks I'm in the uk got it via a mobile contract. I used the marketplace installed on the nexus to download apps.
Great phone. Although ebay and Skype apps not working brilliantly yet and need updating for the nexus.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Welcome to Droid Forums! Glad you found us! :biggrin:

doublea500

Reaction score
kk great thanks for the insight there. android does not have that much viruses on it, but they are out there. have fun with the galaxy nexus, you lucky lucky lucky bastard :D. unlike you in the uk, we in the us have to wait until december 8 (hopefully)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Im glad you joined us. :)

Some apps have not been updated to work properly with android 4.0. So you will have to wait until the developers push out an update. Second you do not need virus protection for your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

doublea500

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Im glad you joined us. :)

Some apps have not been updated to work properly with android 4.0. So you will have to wait until the developers push out an update. Second you do not need virus protection for your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

To add onto this, you do not need virus protection. Ive never used it and ive swung untouched through two years now, but it can only help you (with virus protection). remember, it will also slow down your phone and suck battery. so yea... your decision

if it helps, now that i think about it, (changed my mind from my first post) im not going to use virus protection unless i see an announcement saying that viruses are spreading. I will cry the day where a pandemic for android comes out.

if you want you can always just make a new thread with a poll saying are you going to use an antivirus on the galaxy nexus. and make the options yes and no.

OP
I

indio1919

Reaction score
Oh really! IPhone users here are looking pretty sick at the moment! My brother has an iPhone and had shoved down my throat for years but like Darth Vader of mobiles, now I am the master!