City id help!?

MrSinister1

Reaction score
Hello people I have a rooted X running 2.2 OTA and have never once even opened city id, well the other day it interrupted one of my incoming calls and it just stopped ringing and I missed the call, it said something about a free trial or subscription so I just exited out and thought nothing else about it, now today its done the same thing again and interrupted one of my incoming rings and it will just stop ringing and I miss the call. So I go into the city id app and there doesn't seem to be anyway to turn this off. Can someone please help or has anyone experienced this before, again I have never even opened this app so I'm not sure why this is even showing up. Thanks for any advice

wdprice3

Reaction score
you can blame VZW for this garbage. You can use rootexplorer and rename the apk so it won't be usable anymore

OP
MrSinister1

MrSinister1

Reaction score
thank you gentlemen, you have been an amazing help. VZW is ridiculous what garbage, at the very least make it an option.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
It shouldn't interrupt like that, but I personally find it useful to know what city the call is coming from, particularly so I can skip sales calls, so I signed on after a trial.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

bmv

Reaction score
Sorry for being so lame, but I'm having the same problem. Don't know how to rename tho.please explain.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being so lame, but I'm having the same problem. Don't know how to rename tho.please explain.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I use Root Explorer, which is a paid app.

-Open Root Explorer

-Go to system/apps and click the R/W button in the top right of your screen.

-Scroll down to City ID and long press, selecting rename.

-Delete just the apk part and rename to bak.

-Hit ok and then hit the R/O at the top back to R/W and exit. You may have to restart.

-To get it back to normal just reverse the proccess.

Hope this helps, good luck. Oh, and I'm not responsible for your phone:) don't yell at me.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Can also be done with terminal emulator (free).

use Astro to find the .apk's you want to rename. Write them down (case sensetive)

Do the following line by line in Terminal Emulator

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak (com.amazon.mpe.apk is just an example, replace with whatever app you want to rename)
mv Blockbuster.apk Blockbuster.bak (add as many as you want)
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
sync
reboot

Again...you should be rooted.