Chromecast Gets the iFixit Teardown Too

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chromecast-teardown-ifixit.jpeg

This morning we shared an iFixit teardown for the new 2013 Nexus 7, but as it turns out, that's not the first Google teardown they shared this week. A bit before that those crafty "techno-doctors" at iFixit shared a teardown of the new Chromecast from Google. Ultimately, they came to the conclusion that “there’s just nothing in it to repair" so they didn't even give it a repairability score.

Interestingly, a large majority of the weight/heft of the Chromecast comes from a heatsink that spans the entire length of the device internally. Also, the iFixit guys pointed out one other awesome bit of trivia regarding the device. The engineers at Google got creative and gave the device a crafty model name. The model name is H2G2-42.

This isn't just some randomly chosen moniker based upon some arbitrary organizational system. We won't give away the secret, because it will be more fun to let you guys figure it out for yourself. (Try not to cheat by looking at the source link below.) Just let it soak in a bit and sound off with your theory on the reasoning behind the model name.

We will give you one hint though: the Google engineers must think VERY highly of this device!

Source: iFixit

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Sounds like a spin off of R2D2 - this is the droid you'll need LOL :)...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had to cheat, would not have gotten it otherwise. The 42 should have been enough for me to get it.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for staying honest, and nice indirect clue akhenax! ;)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is another number on the charger I believe that is a Google engineer being funny.

"Notarized"

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why you'd buy this, which seems cool however you can pay ten more for

Amazon.com : Bluetooth MK808B Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick : Streaming Media Clients : Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Mini PC Mk809 II (UG007 in sleek skin) Newest Version Android Dual Core Build-in Bluetooth Android 4.1 Rk3066 Dual Core 1g Ram 8g Rom Support External 3g Mini Pc: Electronics

those seem like they'd do so much more, at least currently, than this chromecast.

maybe once I can stream content from my server to the chromecast, or use a version of XBMC on it I'd jump... but until then I'm just kinda underwhelmed

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For those who didn't get the easter-egg, the model number of the device pays homage to the famed sci-fi novel (series), "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Here's a quote from the iFixit review with the full reveal,

Model Number: H2G2-42.

Wasn't "42" the answer to life, the universe, and everything in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

And H2G2 is an abbreviation given to the book, as well as the name of a website dedicated to making a guide to life, the universe, and everything.

We see what you did there, Google. Your clever nerd humor will not be lost on us!

Call us speculative, but it appears Google thinks this device is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.