Charter.net email issues

McDawg81

Reaction score
Could use some help if anyone has the answers - God knows Charter tech support doesn't! I've got the email configured on the Droid and everything appears to be working fine - except, Outlook on my desktop gives an error message when attempting to receive, saying,
Task 'pop.charter.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) : 'Your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail message is being delivered to it or another mail application is accessing it. The server responded: -ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again.'

BurtB

Reaction score
I have problems with charter.net also on my Droid. I can receive emails fine from charter account but can not send emails from it - my preferred address. I have to send or reply from gmail. Charter and Verizon have given me differing ways to set up, neither works. Also sometimes after checking mail from my droid I cannot get mail from my PC - says server not found. Closing Outlook Express and reopening solves this thankfully.

coastal_carolina

Reaction score
I am having this exact problem also.

I am running Windows 7 and using Windows Live Mail version 14.08089.

Typically setting the email app on the phone (either the default or K-9 Mail) not to poll or check for mail automatically with help 95% of the time.

I have followed Charter's Mobile email setup to a T:
Mobile Email Settings - Charter Communications

And also double checked their email setup for Windows Live Mail:
Email Help - Charter Communications

My profession is IT so I will continue to investigate and solve this problem, as it is a PITA.

andymac13

Reaction score
Charter.net email problems?

How are you receiving emails on charter.net? Have followed Coastal Carolina's instructions for Mobile Email Settings and NOGO. I am using Settings/Accounts & synch/Corporate Account option. What am I doing wrong?

bbtkd

Reaction score
I ran into this with my ISP and the issue is the Email reader on the Droid staying running and keeping the mailbox open on your ISPs Email server. If I hit the menu button on the Droid it leaves the Email app open and causes this issue. If I use the 'backout' button to back out to the menu then it closes the mailbox on the server.

robrex

Reaction score
Charter.net

As stated earlier Charter is of no help. Stated to me, If it comes to your computer thats all we support. When set up on the Droid i have no incoming on desktop. Did i overlook a solution to this problem on this thread?

Spartan

Reaction score
Had similar issues with k9 and charter on outgoing messages. Tried this and now working well.
mobile.charter.net
port 587

robrex

Reaction score
Help!!!!!!!!!!
This email thing is working me.
I have tried all directions.
When it works on the Droid it does not work on the computer.

robrex

Reaction score
After calls to both Charter and Verizon
My solution was to go into Charter email setup and forward the charter emails to my gmail account, with the setting to leave a copy on the server.
All is well! YEAH!

coastal_carolina

Reaction score
Well I'm back again.

I stopped working on this issue because I took my Moto Droid back mid January so I could wait for the Nexus One/Incredible to come to Verizon this spring.

I just got the HTC Incredible Thursday and yet again am having this problem.

The email forwarding idea is a good way to get around this, but you really should NOT have to do this!

I will continue to work on this and investigate and let anyone know what I find.

If anyone else has found a solution let us know!

coastal_carolina

Reaction score
OK, I have solved the problem.

You setup email on your mobile device as an IMAP account as Charter instructs you to do.

HOWEVER, in your email software in Windows Live Mail, Outlook express, etc setup your account as an IMAP as well... do not set it up as a POP3.

IMAP
Incoming E-Mail Server: imap.charter.net
Outgoing E-Mail Server: smtp.charter.net
Server Type: IMAP Server

Port settings:
My Windows Live Mail defaulted to Port 25 for outgoing (SMTP) mail and Port 143 for incoming (IMAP) mail, and this works great.

A note: IMAP Server If you are using an IMAP account, items deleted will remain on the server until you empty the trash (click the “purge” or “empty trash” icon).

Charter Help - What are my email settings and Webmail address?

I just got off the phone with Charter technical support to tell them about the problem (again), and let them know the resolution for now - the ticket they created for me is ticket #W660471 and they are looking into why this problem is occurring. If you google this error message you will see we are not alone in this... however problem is solved for now.

Last edited:

obxcape

Reaction score
Well I'm back again.

I stopped working on this issue because I took my Moto Droid back mid January so I could wait for the Nexus One/Incredible to come to Verizon this spring.

I just got the HTC Incredible Thursday and yet again am having this problem.

The email forwarding idea is a good way to get around this, but you really should NOT have to do this!

I will continue to work on this and investigate and let anyone know what I find.

If anyone else has found a solution let us know!

Has a solution been found for the Charter email issues? My Droid only occasionally receives email from my Charter account....and sometimes it will reload email that I have deleted over a month ago! Kinda like "its hell when its well but its sick so much!"...

I have forwarded my Charter email to my G-mail account but sometimes it takes as long as 30 to 45 minutes for the email to forward. The Charter email will continously process on the phone (timer rotating) but no email shows. Everything works just fine on my PC.

Curious as to how to fix this issue. It's getting old!

Thanks,
Joe Murphy
Nags Head, North Carolina

proactiv

Reaction score
Charter e-mail solution for Droid

Hello all,
Here are the correct settings for you Charter account using Droid:

Mail Type: POP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.charterinternet.com
Username: [email protected] (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)
Password: whatever the password is to access the charter email account
Port: 110
Encryption: None

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.charterinternet.com
Authentication: ON
Username: [email protected] (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)
Port: 25

rickplite

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have these settings entered in my Droid and my incoming emails are still not coming through. If I play around with settings or use my browser I can effectively clean the pipes so to speak and they may or may not come through. Charter says it is Verizons problem since my email works on my desktop, Verizon says it is Charters problem. Help!

proactiv

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have these settings entered in my Droid and my incoming emails are still not coming through. If I play around with settings or use my browser I can effectively clean the pipes so to speak and they may or may not come through. Charter says it is Verizons problem since my email works on my desktop, Verizon says it is Charters problem. Help!

Hmmm. Don't know what to say.. My carrier is AT&T.. Does anyone here know how to set up the Droid for Charter e-mail using Verizon?