Charging: Where's the guidance from Motorola?

Trash Can

Reaction score
Professor FoxKat has spent many hours here educating all of us on battery care. He has explained in great detail the pitfalls of full discharges and there have been numerous examples of such posted on this forum. His methods will keep you out of trouble!!! However, that's not the purpose of this thread.

What is Motorola's official position on complete discharges? If it exists, I cannot find it. Summarizing, all they say is:

1. Fully charge your device prior to initial use.
2. You will get a blinking red light at 5% (see link here)
3. A fully discharged device may take several minutes for the charging sequence to begin.

As far as I can tell, they do not discuss the dangers (or benefits) of full charge/discharge cycles.

Further, Verizon says to run new phones through three full charge/discharge cycles. I realize this is from the carrier, but at least Verizon put something out there. If it's bad, it should be corrected.

Even further, Apple says iPhone batteries should be fully charged/drained once a month.

So, the question remains.... what is Motorola's official written guidance on complete charge/discharge cycles? I am not interested in information from a tech in a call center, as that seems to be more opinion than anything else. Thanks!

Conflicting information is confusing information.

DamianD

Reaction score
Ahh, I forgot, I wanted to complete this on the topic open by me:
In one of the last emails with Motorola USA technical department the person I spoked regarding the First Charge said that he contacted "Their engineering department" to respond on my question. Their answer is:
"On the initial charging turn off the phone and charge it overnight approximately for 8-10 hours since the phone battery has a charge on it already before you got it."

...That's all.
:unsure:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Motorola was getting ready to release "Charging for Dummies" but discovered Professor FoxKat's body of work and decided to give him the $1.2 million dollars they saved by not having to publish the book.
Have you SEEN Foxie's Ferrari collection? Black, Red and White One of each!:icon_eek:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Motorola was getting ready to release "Charging for Dummies" but discovered Professor FoxKat's body of work and decided to give him the $1.2 million dollars they saved by not having to publish the book.
Have you SEEN Foxie's Ferrari collection? Black, Red and White One of each!:icon_eek:

Shhhh! White one is the wife's, Black one is mine, my wife doesn't know about the Red 458 Spider. She'd kill me! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

Trash Can

Reaction score

This is what drives me crazy. Even Motorola puts out conflicting information.

From your attachment....

"8. Only charge a battery when it needs it. If it is not fully discharged, do not recharge it. We suggest that you carry a spare. This is the most cost effective solution for users requiring longer operating time."

Then, on this page, they say

"We suggest charging each night so you start the day fully charged ready to go!"

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Carry a spare?!? Might as well carry a T3 torx screwdriver and a pry tool in your pocket too! I guess Motorola forgot they put a semi permanent battery in the RAZR.

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR that I rebuilt myself

drivinfocused

Reaction score
StephenC said:
Carry a spare?!? Might as well carry a T3 torx screwdriver and a pry tool in your pocket too! I guess Motorola forgot they put a semi permanent battery in the RAZR.

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR that I rebuilt myself

Lol... yeah that's why I always carry a car charger with me. I work in remote areas so a car charger is always nice!