Changing the main Gmail account

Reaction score
Ok i know this has been brought up before because i used the search function buttttt im still having issues.

I have a new gmail that i want to make my new Main Account but sadly I just cant delete it and replace it (i should because IT should be that easy but its not)

Any updates on how to fix this? i really dont want to factory reset. :frown::confused:

[Non rooted droid incredible 2]

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, factory reset is the only way to do it.

Options:
Why not just change the account in the Market and not worry about it?

or

Root, backup with Titanium, factory reset, and restore -- will take you about 10 minutes.

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
Yeah my gf doesnt wanna root her phone yet and she wants the email removed forever. what would changing it in the market do for her?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to make the account go away forever, then changing the account in the market wont do anything for you.

If your goal was to make it as seamless as possible, then changing the account in the market would help.

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
lol but what would just changing the email in the market do? anything special?

she wants to use gtalk with her new gmail account and she cant shes stuck with the old gmail

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
Gtalk doesnt support multiple accounts it seems like.....and its impossible to sign out

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is one of the most frustrating things about Android IMO.

Unless you're rooted, there really is no way outside of a factory reset to get rid of the account.

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
This is one of the most frustrating things about Android IMO.

Unless you're rooted, there really is no way outside of a factory reset to get rid of the account.

Its so annoying. it seems so simple im having a hard time believing its this rediculous. i shouldnt have to root her phone or factory reset just to change her emails around.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Its so annoying. it seems so simple im having a hard time believing its this rediculous. i shouldnt have to root her phone or factory reset just to change her emails around.

There used to be tricks you could do, but they don't seem to work with GB.

It has to do with what the account is associated with. Mainly the market and GTALK.

EDIT:

Honestly, if you want to get rid of the account in like a few mins rooting is your only option.

When rooted use a file explorer like File Expert and go to:

Internal storage > DATA > SYSTEM

There is a file called accounts.db.

Deleting it or renaming it with .bak at the end and power cycling will get rid of ALL accounts on the phone.

Last edited:
OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
i am absolutely with you when it comes to rooting. My Original Incredible that I use has been rooted for well over a year.....3 more months and i can get a new phone. My xoom that I am currently typing this on is rooted too.

I have tried to get her to allow me to root it but she just doesnt want to yet. So now I have to search around until someone has an answer for a non rooted phone. She will most likely factory reset but I was hoping to find an alternative. If gtalk would just allow her to sign off and sign in another account she would probably just live with it but sadly you cant.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
i am absolutely with you when it comes to rooting. My Original Incredible that I use has been rooted for well over a year.....3 more months and i can get a new phone. My xoom that I am currently typing this on is rooted too.

I have tried to get her to allow me to root it but she just doesnt want to yet. So now I have to search around until someone has an answer for a non rooted phone. She will most likely factory reset but I was hoping to find an alternative. If gtalk would just allow her to sign off and sign in another account she would probably just live with it but sadly you cant.

I'm not up to date with HTC devices, but can't you at least temp root or reverse root the device? That way you can get rid of the account and keep everything. Then when your done; her phone will be unrooted.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Did you think about this. When she changes the gmail account on the phone, none of the apps will be associated with the new gmail address. Rooting and changing the gmail account will provide the exact same result as a factory data reset. With the new gmail account, no contacts or apps will reload because they wont be associated with the new gmail account. If she really wants to change accounts, do a fdr, before signing into the phone she will need to transfer her contacts to the new gmail account on the computer. Sign in with the new account and the contacts should transfer to the phone. Any apps will have to be redownloaded manually. If she has any paid apps she might have to rebuy them.

This post is Incredible 2!

OP
DigitalDroid57
Reaction score
Did you think about this. When she changes the gmail account on the phone, none of the apps will be associated with the new gmail address. Rooting and changing the gmail account will provide the exact same result as a factory data reset. With the new gmail account, no contacts or apps will reload because they wont be associated with the new gmail account. If she really wants to change accounts, do a fdr, before signing into the phone she will need to transfer her contacts to the new gmail account on the computer. Sign in with the new account and the contacts should transfer to the phone. Any apps will have to be redownloaded manually. If she has any paid apps she might have to rebuy them.

This post is Incredible 2!

She only has 2 paid apps and she already has all her contacts on the new gmail already and has her facebook via on the phone changed to her new gmail as well. Everything is basically changed except gtalk which after reviewing google for about an hour i have learned its a bug google is trying to fix to add multiple gmail accounts to gtalk. I can change names on my xoom (in gtalk, although I am running ice cream sandwich) its weird I cant do it on the phone. I am sure she will just factory reset. Seems to be the best and safest way.