changing default video player

moot

Reaction score
I use astro to view my video files. I clicked on a video file and it asked me which type of video player I wanted to open it with. I selected the default video player, instead of Act 1. Is there a way I can bring up this screen again? I'd like all videos to default to act one, when browsing through astro.

Thanks!

pinesal

Reaction score
Go to settings and manage applications and find the default video player, then clear the default.

OP
moot

moot

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I went to act 1 and cleared the the cache and even tried uninstalling it. All video files still go to the default google video player. Further help will be most welcome.

joepits

Reaction score
You could the free market app called cleardefault. About to try it now for the same issue. I can't figure out what the stock video player is called!

qzpm150

Reaction score
This has been bugging me too, I've tried cleardefault but it still does not ask me what player I want to use. I'm trying to get rockplayer to be the default. Trying to get gmote to play avi files form home network but it keeps saying no supported player for this format.

Anyone figure this one out?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use an App called Video Player - it's free and it will find and play your video's very well and it even has the names.

qzpm150

Reaction score
I use an App called Video Player - it's free and it will find and play your video's very well and it even has the names.

There are two on the market. Is it by Jeff Hamilton or Android Code Monkey?

Apparently RockPlayer can't be set as a default player anyway.

ashkanmcse

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
I have a Galaxy S4. I am accessing my external hdd using my browser to play my avi videos. I have MX player installed so when I choose the video, a little window pops up and gives me two option: mx player and internet browser but mx player says it can't play video. I have a few more avi players installed but it does not give me the option to choose those. if I uninstall the mx player, my phone starts downloading the video but I want to stream the video online. I also cleared default under settings for mx player but it still pops up. one more thing, under default applications I only have home and messaging so I can assign any video player there. is there anyway to assign one of my other avi players to play these avi files online?
Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hold down the home button, tap task manager, tap clear defaults, find the video player & clear that. Alternatively, if you uninstall act 1 or something whatever player you want to use, if you reinstall it, the option will come back the first time you click a video.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ashkanmcse

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
Hold down the home button, tap task manager, tap clear defaults, find the video player & clear that. Alternatively, if you uninstall act 1 or something whatever player you want to use, if you reinstall it, the option will come back the first time you click a video.

Thanks for your response.
I held down the home button and I got this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-27-15-44-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-27-15-44-58.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 407

ashkanmcse

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
You said earlier that you uninstalled act 1. Did you install it again?

HI.
no that wasn't me. this is my message: I have a Galaxy S4. I am accessing my external hdd using my browser to play my avi videos. I have MX player installed so when I choose the video, a little window pops up and gives me two option: mx player and internet browser but mx player says it can't play video. I have a few more avi players installed but it does not give me the option to choose those. if I uninstall the mx player, my phone starts downloading the video but I want to stream the video online. I also cleared default under settings for mx player but it still pops up. one more thing, under default applications I only have home and messaging so I can assign any video player there. is there anyway to assign one of my other avi players to play these avi files online?

the message you are referring to was sent by the user: MOOT
thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
HI.
no that wasn't me. this is my message: I have a Galaxy S4. I am accessing my external hdd using my browser to play my avi videos. I have MX player installed so when I choose the video, a little window pops up and gives me two option: mx player and internet browser but mx player says it can't play video. I have a few more avi players installed but it does not give me the option to choose those. if I uninstall the mx player, my phone starts downloading the video but I want to stream the video online. I also cleared default under settings for mx player but it still pops up. one more thing, under default applications I only have home and messaging so I can assign any video player there. is there anyway to assign one of my other avi players to play these avi files online?

the message you are referring to was sent by the user: MOOT
thanks
Ah. My bad.

It would seem that the issue is with whatever you're using to view the files on the hdd. If it wants to download them, it would be that app & not the video player. If the others can't be assigned, there's no way to change that. The best you could do there is navigate to the file you want to play from within the avi player app if it will let you, but using an external drive, that may be tricky.

ashkanmcse

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4
Ah. My bad.

It would seem that the issue is with whatever you're using to view the files on the hdd. If it wants to download them, it would be that app & not the video player. If the others can't be assigned, there's no way to change that. The best you could do there is navigate to the file you want to play from within the avi player app if it will let you, but using an external drive, that may be tricky.

Thanks.
I am not using any app. using internet browser I am signing in to Seagate website and navigating my hdd

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks.
I am not using any app. using internet browser I am signing in to Seagate website and navigating my hdd
Yeah, the browser will treat it like a download link, because it's not an embedded file like the videos on YouTube & other sites.

There might be a file Explorer app out there that'd do what you want. If not, there really should be. I know there are apps that'll allow you to browse files on your computer & stream them. That might be another option, but quality would probably be pretty low since you'd essentially be streaming from the hdd to the computer to the phone.