CES 2016 EcoCell USB batteries

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Macktion, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Macktion

Macktion DF News Team
    Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +114

This was, without question one of the most encouraging things that i saw on the showroom floor. As I have mentioned at other times, and in other videos, I like to travel light. I also like to travel on USB power. I have 2 USB battery packs that I use on a regular basis, and until now have also had to haul a handful of alkaline, or NiCads of each, and a charger. Our Microphone uses 1 AA battery, and the accompanying recorder uses 2 AAA batteries.

This now puts me one step closer to only needing one universal charger for all of my equipment: The Universal Serial Bus.

Sometimes, its not the huge and amazing new technology that delights you, but the change to an old one that makes you smile.
    For those of you who want a closer look, Ill do a review of the pack of AAs that Joe sent me home with, but till then

• Like Like x 1
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,174
    nice idea. I was looking for where to purchase but this now looks like it was meant for one of the bigger companies (Energizer or Duracell) to purchase their idea.

3. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,049
    Good idea, problem is when you lose that yellow cap your battery becomes useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +300
    1040mAh AA batteries? You can buy 3100mAh rechargeable AA's. I'm definitely willing to carry a dedicated charger for the convenience of tripling my batteries' capacities and having to recharge them three times less often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,049
    Reviews for your link state that those are a scam rating in 1400mah not 3100mah advertised.

6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Kind of a cool concept and not bad if you've got a bunch of devices that only need 1 or 2 batteries, but what happens with a device that takes 4-6 batteries? Then you're getting into a real pain to get them all recharged. Even if you have spares, a computer only has so many USB ports and a standard wall charger for a phone has one. I suppose you could buy a USB hub that supplies power to each port, but I'm still thinking a dedicated battery charger is the smarter buy if you need more than 1 or 2 batteries per device.

7. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    I've had these before, they aren't new. They also aren't that good.

8. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I just went to amazon and found those. I have numerous 2,500mAh NiMH AA's at home but I wanted to make sure of the rating before commenting as I was at the office when I posted. The point remains that these USB batteries are woefully undercapacitied compared to other rechargeable battery tech.

I suppose it is because so much of the battery's physical size is used up in the USB plug and charging electronics. There just isn't much room left for chemistry.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

ecocellusb