Carbon Footprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmc2025

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Is there an app that can use the GPS built into the DROID to tell me how my driving is affecting my carbon footprint? It should be pretty easy to judge the average emissions for car types, and pairing that with the GPS to track driving times and distances should give a rough estimate of an automotive carbon footprint. Am I right? Is there an app for that? If not, can we request it from the mighty programmer gods?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Play nice, he asked a question. All he wanted was a simple response.

I do not know as of yet an application that does that. Though i'm sure it wouldn't be a HUGE task to create one. Just have the gps calculate distance driven, then derived from the cars Mpg.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Agreed -- this is a Droid forum, not a political forum. Let's not make comments on people's political proclivities, whether we agree with them or not.

There's an app called Mileage Ledger which uses the built-in GPS to keep track of how many miles you've driven. (Activate it when you get in the car, and de-activate it when you get out. Lets you store individual trips and start/stop trips as you desire.)

You could then use a separate app to keep track of how much fuel you've used (there are tons of fuel-mileage calculator apps out there, in which you enter the number of miles you've driven and the amount of fuel you pumped on each fill up.)

So using those two apps, you can gain a pretty accurate estimate of your total MPG. Then it's simply a matter of multiplying the gallons of fuel you've used times 19 (number of pounds of CO2 produced by burning one gallon of gasoline) then divide by your total miles traveled to get your total CO2 output per mile.

Obviously, it'd be far easier if there were a single app that would keep track of all this stuff for you in one place. But I can't seem to find such an app in the Market. I would think it wouldn't be all that hard to write one, though. (I'm a NOOB when it comes to Droid programming -- I've just barely scratched the surface of the SDK. So it's far beyond my current abilities to write such an app, unfortunately.)

Any app that uses the built-in GPS of the phone, however, will drain the battery pretty quickly -- I'd recommend the car-dock and a car-charger if you do manage to find such an app, or else you'll be dealing with dead-battery issues constantly.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed -- this is a Droid forum, not a political forum. Let's not make comments on people's political proclivities, whether we agree with them or not.

There's an app called Mileage Ledger which uses the built-in GPS to keep track of how many miles you've driven. (Activate it when you get in the car, and de-activate it when you get out. Lets you store individual trips and start/stop trips as you desire.)

You could then use a separate app to keep track of how much fuel you've used (there are tons of fuel-mileage calculator apps out there, in which you enter the number of miles you've driven and the amount of fuel you pumped on each fill up.)

So using those two apps, you can gain a pretty accurate estimate of your total MPG. Then it's simply a matter of multiplying the gallons of fuel you've used times 19 (number of pounds of CO2 produced by burning one gallon of gasoline) then divide by your total miles traveled to get your total CO2 output per mile.

Obviously, it'd be far easier if there were a single app that would keep track of all this stuff for you in one place. But I can't seem to find such an app in the Market. I would think it wouldn't be all that hard to write one, though.

Any app that uses the built-in GPS of the phone, however, will drain the battery pretty quickly -- I'd recommend the car-dock and a car-charger if you do manage to find such an app, or else you'll be dealing with dead-battery issues constantly.

Sounds like someone needs to write an app ;)

Laurence5905

Reaction score
LOL -- I must've been editing my post at the same time you were posting your response. :) I'm very new to Droid programming -- such an app is still beyond my abilities.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Man, I could have written so many deletable posts in this thread. Now I just need to find a penis shaped exhaust pipe and a profile shot of Ann...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This will be a warning to any user. If you are going to post something about anything political or anything that could be misconstrued against the OP, you will be getting a temp ban of 1 day. This is not tolerated in any way, shape or form. This is not a forum for you to discuss politics. END OF DISCUSSION!

EDITED: This warning is about THIS thread only.

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I think that's a little harsh. We can have opinions. I agree if someone misconstrues the OP's post, adds no insight, and then starts a rash of attacks on various philosophies but as long as there is some validity I see no reason not to discuss.

I am speaking in general and not to this post.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OP asked a question, this is a warning for this thread only. You can have your opinions all you want about it. As laurence already stated

OP
pmc2025

pmc2025

Reaction score
Ok yall, really - if I'm going to get the kind of responses and personal e-mails that I'm getting because of a god d**** question, I'm going to have to ask the moderator to lock this thread. I don't know about yall, but I'm secure enough in my belief system not to have to attack others to make myself feel better. Moderator. I know you're watching, the question asked has been answered. As the OP, I'm asking that you close this thread so that I can get on with my life, and not have to deal with people who have nothing better to do than engage in unprovoked attacks on others!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok yall, really - if I'm going to get the kind of responses and personal e-mails that I'm getting because of a god d**** question, I'm going to have to ask the moderator to lock this thread. I don't know about yall, but I'm secure enough in my belief system not to have to attack others to make myself feel better. Moderator. I know you're watching, the question asked has been answered. As the OP, I'm asking that you close this thread so that I can get on with my life, and not have to deal with people who have nothing better to do than engage in unprovoked attacks on others!

Has been closed per your request. If you have any trouble with users PM'ing you hateful responses, forward them to the moderators and the users will be dealt with. No one on this forum will be made to feel unwelcome before they have different views then yourself. You people can't find enough respect to respect others for their viewpoints, then you will have a hard time on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.