Carbon Fiber Case: Really Great- Really Cheap!

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
100% Fake CF
Based on price? It states CF - no feedback scores saying it's not. Did you receive one? Curious as to how you knew that. Mike

Well I've received mine and have been using it for 2-3 days now. Looks and feels great and the keypad slides with no problem.
The issue is not whether it's real CF. As I ststed in the post it probably (now I see definitely) can't be. I can say that its sturdier, "hardier", with a better feel, a better look, and a snugger fit that the black one I had which took one for the team and cracked after the Droid was dropped. It protected the phone which is what I bought it for.
It's not CF. I get it. But again I submit: "who cares"? You could say CF wouldn't crack. I saw someone selling a real CF case for something like $65 on this forum. Assuming that I drop it 20 times (which is very unlikely) and the cases crack half those times I can replace them every time and still have money left over for a couple of coffees at Starbucks! Besides, by then I'll be using my "Droid II" by then.

cuskit

Reaction score
100% Fake CF
Based on price? It states CF - no feedback scores saying it's not. Did you receive one? Curious as to how you knew that. Mike

Well I've received mine and have been using it for 2-3 days now. Looks and feels great and the keypad slides with no problem.
The issue is not whether it's real CF. As I ststed in the post it probably (now I see definitely) can't be. I can say that its sturdier, "hardier", with a better feel, a better look, and a snugger fit that the black one I had which took one for the team and cracked after the Droid was dropped. It protected the phone which is what I bought it for.
It's not CF. I get it. But again I submit: "who cares"? You could say CF wouldn't crack. I saw someone selling a real CF case for something like $65 on this forum. Assuming that I drop it 20 times (which is very unlikely) and the cases crack half those times I can replace them every time and still have money left over for a couple of coffees at Starbucks! Besides, by then I'll be using my "Droid II" by then.
You have a very valid point. I would assume (from the comments) that most who like Carbon Fiber are stating so based on the "cool looks" - so, that being the case - you can get the look (at least a reasonable facsimile) for a fraction of the cost, so why not? Which is why those are probably selling like hot cakes (what is a hot cake - don't think I ever bought one, whatever they are) and the real CF we're seeing (some day...) here on the other thread will sell in very conservative numbers. With Droids selling for only $49.00 some places - not many will spend another 25% plus just for a case for it. Not when you can have a "looks the same" case for less than $6.00. Of course - the purists would do so. And if you are looking at merely protection - I'd say the real CF might be worth the cost. Not sure how well the "stick on" strips will protect the front bezel though. mike

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score

You have a very valid point. I would assume (from the comments) that most who like Carbon Fiber are stating so based on the "cool looks" - so, that being the case - you can get the look (at least a reasonable facsimile) for a fraction of the cost, so why not? Which is why those are probably selling like hot cakes (what is a hot cake - don't think I ever bought one, whatever they are) and the real CF we're seeing (some day...) here on the other thread will sell in very conservative numbers. With Droids selling for only $49.00 some places - not many will spend another 25% plus just for a case for it. Not when you can have a "looks the same" case for less than $6.00. Of course - the purists would do so. And if you are looking at merely protection - I'd say the real CF might be worth the cost. Not sure how well the "stick on" strips will protect the front bezel though. mike

Hotcakes are pancakes Comrade! :icon_ poke:

I doubt the CF would protect that much better for typical use unless you race your Droid.

cuskit

Reaction score

Hotcakes are pancakes Comrade! :icon_ poke:

I doubt the CF would protect that much better for typical use unless you race your Droid.

Pancakes? Who'd a thunk? ;) I thought maybe they were stolen cakes... :)
Thanks for bringing me up to speed! :icon_ banana:

I'll have to pay close attention to the (car interior cameras) on today's Nascar Cup race - see if there's any CF encased Droids clamped inside on their dashboard ;) mike

rican408

Reaction score
Getting this cf printed cover is like giving your wife a cubic zirconium ring. Its obvious and wac as hell. Its a joke. Sorry. Cant see a way to justify this.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll have to pay close attention to the (car interior cameras) on today's Nascar Cup race - see if there's any CF encased Droids clamped inside on their dashboard ;) mike

How the heck do you think they know where to go!? :icon_ devil:

(Figured I might as well comment, since I'm still subscribed to this thread...)

mitchb2

Reaction score
Does this have any kind of padding inside?
Does the Droid slip into this or does it snap-on?
They don't give enough info in the description.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Getting this cf printed cover is like giving your wife a cubic zirconium ring. Its obvious and wac as hell. Its a joke. Sorry. Cant see a way to justify this.

Do you really think that? Bad anaolgy. Really bad. Do you know how a jewler can tell the difference betweena real diamond and a Zirconium ring? I asked a jewler when I was shopping once so I know. The Zirconium is flawless and clear while the real one has inclusions and imperfections. Even the very the very highest quality diamonds have flaws so buying the real thing is for snob appeal. That's why many people (celebs and such) who have very very expensive jewelry will have Zirconium duplicates made for wearing and the real pieces kept in safes for fear of theft since noone can tell the difference.
And do you think that buying a case for you phone is the same thing? Wow! It's a frekin' case!

rican408

Reaction score
But the fact that its trying to be carbon fiber is so freaking gay. everybody but you can tell just from the pics that it was fake. I bet your the type of person to put this cheap crap on your car and say "it almost looks like it". on the outside everybody is laughing at you. sorry this no good enough substitute in this situation.

jcardona1

Reaction score
fake carbon fiber looks awful IMO. if youre going cheap, id stick with just a plain black case. my amzer case works great, but i ordered the real carbon fiber case just because i love the look, and i wanted something different :)

driftsucky

Reaction score
Real talk, you use carbon fiber for 2 reasons.
1) reduce weight
2) aesthetics

Clearly, no one gets a phone case to shave weight. So, getting something that LOOKS like carbon fiber is no more lame than getting real carbon fiber when dealing with phone cases. I'd even venture to say that getting fake carbon fiber is MORE sensible than spending the extra money for the real thing when dealing with a phone case.

That being said, I can't wait to get my real carbon fiber. :D

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
But the fact that its trying to be carbon fiber is so freaking gay. everybody but you can tell just from the pics that it was fake. I bet your the type of person to put this cheap crap on your car and say "it almost looks like it". on the outside everybody is laughing at you. sorry this no good enough substitute in this situation.

Bubba, oh Bubba, oh Bubba o mine! I put about $21k under the hood of my 93 car that noone saw from the street. And thousands on wheels ect. I pissed money into that car that I just sold for PENNIES on the dollar. You again picked the wrong analogy. Noone laughed, especially me.
It's A PHONE CASE!!!!
I like the way it looks. I like they way in functions.
It's in your pocket most of the time.
But, please spend $65 on a case. Pay 1/3 the purchase price of the phone. Go for it!
It's important to some to say "Yeah! And it's REAL CF. I paid $65 for it!" When they tilt their heads like a dog hearing a high pitched sound then explain to 99.99999999% of people why they should care. Then be ready to answer: "You paid $65? Why?"
Really, shouldn't we spend more time and effort on something else?
Peace/Out.