Car dock that is NOT a window mount?

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Is there a car dock for the droid that can be used either in the cup holder or with vent attachment?

Shel

Reaction score
I purchased the one shown below from Target. They give you 90 days to return it if you're unhappy.

Really like it, though. It attaches with clips to your air vents, very easy to install and remove. Also has a ball pivot, so you can turn it towards you.

What's nice is, the side arms (which are padded) can be raised or lowered individually, so you can adjust them to avoid the volume buttons/charging port, etc.

I also like that it will still fit the Droid after I get a Seidiio Inno Case, which will make the Droid just a tad thicker.

Back and side arms are nicely padded, it's held in place by simply squeezing the two arms together, so they grab the Droid. NO problem with it coming out whatsoever (and I read a LOT of reviews, nobody else reported their device coming loose)

It's made by Bracketron.

Amazon also has them for sale.

41kCZfjLhNL._SS400_.jpg

kpiskin

Reaction score
I had a Garmin dash mount that sits on a sand bag type weight. The socket fits perfectly into the back of the Droid phone plate. I tried it out because I kept worrying the phone would fall off the window which my GPS has done several times and even cracked the plastic screen.

omnibus

Reaction score
I had a Garmin dash mount that sits on a sand bag type weight. The socket fits perfectly into the back of the Droid phone plate. I tried it out because I kept worrying the phone would fall off the window which my GPS has done several times and even cracked the plastic screen.
Ditto, it works great for me. Thank Garmin for a poor suction cup design which led me to it.

skidemn

Reaction score
My company has some vent mount attachments left that work with the holder I showed in another thread. The holder has the magnet that allows automatic car mode when placed in the holder. Anyone interested can message me for more info.

The only thing I don't like about this vent mount (and others I've tested) is that they do not easily remove from the vent blades, and obviously it blocks the vent which bothers me as since I love my air conditioning!

REMilk

Reaction score
Best Buy brand is $10.00

RocketFish (Best Buy's brand) sandbag is only $10.00.

REMilk

Reaction score
If you want to leave your case on the Droid, such as rubber, silicone, Body Glove, etc., then you need a 'universal' holder.

If you use a "universal" holder, then you need to place a small magnet in the correct location to trigger the car mount process.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score

My company has some vent mount attachments left that work with the holder I showed in another thread. The holder has the magnet that allows automatic car mode when placed in the holder. Anyone interested can message me for more info.

The only thing I don't like about this vent mount (and others I've tested) is that they do not easily remove from the vent blades, and obviously it blocks the vent which bothers me as since I love my air conditioning!

Do these have magnets for car mode?

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score

The thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to have a swivel for a horizontal position.

jk12

Reaction score
I bought a mount for my iphone that I'm now able to use with my Droid. The mount fits into the lighter/outlet and can be adjusted in lots of ways. Speaker cutout fits perfectly. It's a tight fit...the top of the mount clasps to the droid very tightly, but it can fit.

It does not charge the phone, but the usb port is accessible. Doubt the stand will work if you have a case since the fit is so tight.

It's only $16...I cut off the mount's "dangler".
Car Lighter Powered Mount and CUSTOM Cradle for Apple iPhone & Touch Fits 3G 3GS

Looks VERY similar to this one for $25
Amzer Lighter Socket Mount with Power Dongle For Motorola - Motorola Droid A855 - Vehicle Mounts - Fommy.com

skidemn

Reaction score

Do these have magnets for car mode?

I add the magnets to the holder which can work with the vent mount, cigarette lighter mount, window mount or vehicle specific mount.

skidemn

Reaction score
Swivel mount...

The thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to have a swivel for a horizontal position.

The swivel is actually built into the window mount, and a separate swivel can be added to the vehicle specific mount. The cigarette lighter mount can be twisted any direction, but takes more effort than the swivel. In actual use I find that I never use the swivel function, and just keep it upright. I would use the landscape mode for viewing movies, but my radio has a DVD and screen built in so I can't think of any other need for landscape. I thought I would use the nav in landscape mode, but after using the nav function for so long I find it much better for me in vertical mode. But, that's just my experience, your mileage may vary...