Car dock that is NOT a window mount?

karib

Reaction score
I purchased and am currently using the model that mounts to cigarette lighter adapter. Everything works well. Using it with a snap on case, the mount holds very well, the magnet works very well through the case, basically everything I was looking for it does, very good option for those that want a car mount with an after market case.[/QUOTE]

I am looking for a cigarette lighter mount/holder... a good one. I have a JEEP commander and the vents are little circles so the vent type won't work. Where did you buy yours from and how much was it? Thanks!

karib

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Arkon brand mounts? There is one that comes with a windshield suction, dash adhesive plate and vent attachment. Just want to know if these are worth the money. Thanks!

cb2000a

Reaction score
I use an Amzer vent mount. Had to cut off a bit of the top bracket to plug in the audio out cord, but it works great.

karib

Reaction score
Anyone know of any with standard mounting holes so it can be used with a bracket (Panavise or similar)?

Yes, these holders have an adapter that has the standard AMPS (4-hole) pattern. If you already have your mount you can order just the holder and adapter. Although you can't really see it in this picture, that is a Panavise custom fit mount behind the holder.

InDash_Droid_11.jpg

I also modify the holder with a magnet if desired, and you can read about it here: InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:.

I purchased and am currently using the model that mounts to cigarette lighter adapter. Everything works well. Using it with a snap on case, the mount holds very well, the magnet works very well through the case, basically everything I was looking for it does, very good option for those that want a car mount with an after market case.

So this igrip mounts comes with the lighter mount and the indash mount specifically for my vehicle for $36.92? So I could use either the in dash bracket or the cigarette lighter to mount this? Just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I have a Jeep Commander 2006, do you have the dash bracket available for this car?

Thanks!

Oldride

Reaction score
Anybody know of a Dash Mount for the Droid that has a Magnet on the base to use on a steel dash.

mntbikejack

Reaction score
Anybody know of a Dash Mount for the Droid that has a Magnet on the base to use on a steel dash.

LOL. I asked for one at my local Verizon store and the guy looked at me like I had six heads.

I'm still looking...

Last edited:

watchit25

Reaction score
I had a Garmin dash mount that sits on a sand bag type weight. The socket fits perfectly into the back of the Droid phone plate. I tried it out because I kept worrying the phone would fall off the window which my GPS has done several times and even cracked the plastic screen.
Ditto, it works great for me. Thank Garmin for a poor suction cup design which led me to it.

Can you please tell me where you purchased the "ball joint" that fits the droid. I have the sandbag with a stem and ball from my garmin gps, but all i need is a universal (using the bodyglove) holder for my droid that has the female end of the ball joint attachment. I have looked all over for this. I know verizon has one that will work if i spend 30/40 bucks on the suction mount and other items i don't need. Thanks for any help with this.

mark729

Reaction score
This one looks what I'm looking for.
I may try this.
Thanks for info.

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd toss my solution into the mix.

I went with a Soundgate M2 universal mount. I wanted something that didn't look like a conventional mount, so as to reduce the chance of smash and grab. I also wanted something that would work with various cases and devices.

I'm using a cheap horizontal slip case, so the Droid itself is naked. As long as whatever case you're using will accept an adhesive pad on the back, it should work. The mounting pad is reasonably small and unobtrusive. It's about the size of a nickle.

Additional mounting pads for devices are reasonably cheap, as are additional mounting stubs if you wanted to move it between vehicles.

I was able to drill a small hole in the mount, and insert a strong magnet to active the car mode (you can see this in the last image).

I plan to pick up a cheap compass to stick onto it if I park in places where I'm concerned the mount might suggest something is in the vehicle. I think with a compass on it, it would look like it's simply a compass.

ice456789

Reaction score
I haven't tried this one, but it looks interesting. I would love to hear is anyone has tried it.

Motorola Droid Custom Cigarette Lighter Accessory Auto Mount with Power Adapter: ExtremePDA

MOTODROID-SM221-LG.jpg

MOTODROID-SM221-LG1.jpg
I own one of those. It holds the phone in place with a shelf for the 'chin', then a plastic piece holds the top in place. I am not very happy with mine. I've had it for less than a month and the rubber that covers the top plastic piece is already shredding. Because the plastic piece is far too tight. It takes 2 hands to get the droid in; one to position the droid and the other to forcefully pull the top plastic piece up so you can squeeze the droid in. It is very possible that I just got a bad unit. Also the plastic piece on the top covers part of the headphone jack, so you can't use headphones. The cigarette lighters in my car are just about perfectly horizontal, but the device hangs down about 10 degrees. That means that it slowly works itself out of the lighter jack. I have to push it in after any big bumps. The contraption has fallen out of the jack on me only once, it takes a while to work itself out and now that I'm aware that it can do that I push it in every so often.

So those are the negatives.

On the positive side, it positions very well for use. Two racheting joints and then a ball joint for the phone itself. You can twist the phone from portrait to landscape easily and it stays where you put it. It gives you another cig adapter so you don't lose one by plugging your mount in. There is ZERO chance of the phone falling out of the mount. The mount holds the phone very tightly as I explained earlier, so tightly that getting the phone in the mount is difficult.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably purchase a different mount just because it is so hard to get the phone in and the protective rubber is wearing away after less than 1 month.

karimarie

Reaction score
I may try this.
Thanks for info.

I went with a Soundgate M2 universal mount. I wanted something that didn't look like a conventional mount, so as to reduce the chance of smash and grab. I also wanted something that would work with various cases and devices.

I'm using a cheap horizontal slip case, so the Droid itself is naked. As long as whatever case you're using will accept an adhesive pad on the back, it should work. The mounting pad is reasonably small and unobtrusive. It's about the size of a nickle.

Additional mounting pads for devices are reasonably cheap, as are additional mounting stubs if you wanted to move it between vehicles.

I was able to drill a small hole in the mount, and insert a strong magnet to active the car mode (you can see this in the last image).

I plan to pick up a cheap compass to stick onto it if I park in places where I'm concerned the mount might suggest something is in the vehicle. I think with a compass on it, it would look like it's simply a compass.

I just got mine today, and spent a while hacking at a couple of mods. I'll report back on how I like it. FWIW, I tried mounting the magnet in the center like nickdma had, but it wouldn't trigger dock mode, so I ended up doing something different. I hope this works--I'm on my fourth dock iteration, and I'm getting cranky. I just want something that fits a phone with a case, has a magnet, and isn't a window mount!!

mark729

Reaction score
Can tou share pictures after finished ur work?
I ordered m2 mount today. can wait to see!

I may try this.
Thanks for info.

I just got mine today, and spent a while hacking at a couple of mods. I'll report back on how I like it. FWIW, I tried mounting the magnet in the center like nickdma had, but it wouldn't trigger dock mode, so I ended up doing something different. I hope this works--I'm on my fourth dock iteration, and I'm getting cranky. I just want something that fits a phone with a case, has a magnet, and isn't a window mount!!