Can't receive picture texts (mms)

hamerman

Reaction score
Whenever someone tries to send me a picture i get the option to download or reject it....if i choose download nothing happens except giving me the option to download or reject again. I have taken the battery, SD card, and SIM card out to attempt a hard reset and i had no success...thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

entcee

Reaction score
Whenever someone tries to send me a picture i get the option to download or reject it....if i choose download nothing happens except giving me the option to download or reject again. I have taken the battery, SD card, and SIM card out to attempt a hard reset and i had no success...thanks in advance for any help

Are you on wifi when you try to download it? Try switching to 3G/4G.

OP
H

hamerman

Reaction score
Being on wifi or 3/4g doesnt dictate it...u actually dont need either to recieve a text...you jus need service...because as long as u have service. You sfill have some form of g(1g or 1.5g) which is old technology that people either never knew existed or didnt know it still was in use by our phones.....but anyways turns out the issue i had is an issue that droid bionics are having and the only solution is to factory reset...unless someone knows another way

OP
H

hamerman

Reaction score
My explanation about receiving texts without wifi or 3/4g also includes receiving pic texts. Without those 2 our smart phones receive them the same way our old non smart phones did

gmo

Reaction score
I'm trying to solve the same problem. Hoping I don't have to reset the phone. Too much rework.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Who are you getting texts from that do this? Verizon users or other carriers? I remember reading about AT&T MMS messages going to Verizon doing this sometimes.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Wifi actually does make a difference I do not know why, but it certainly does

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
H

hamerman

Reaction score
Wifi does help so does 3/4g. But if none of that is available u can still receive mms...you do not need 3/4g. I proved myself right many times in my travels to the middle of nowhere iowa....also any sell phone tech that knows what their talking about will tell you the same things......as far as the question of different carriers...no i wasn't able to receive mms from anyone. From any carrier....sprint tmobile verizon....and if hard resetting your phone doesnt work then chances are you will have to factory reset :(

entcee

Reaction score
Again, you can get text messages without any data connection, but you CAN'T get MMS pics to download unless you are connected to 3G/4G.

That is the way it is, even if you disagree.

I have the same problem you do. As soon as I turn wifi off, it will then download.

Before doing a factory reset, why not try the super simple method of turning off wifi to see if that helps?

OP
H

hamerman

Reaction score
As i basically said i been in the middle of nowhere..all i had was signal...no 3/4g and no wifi....i still received picture text sent to me....you have to think...before smart phones or dinosaur flip phones received pic texts with no wifi and no 3/4g. Our smartphones will receive mms the same way our dino phones did when 3/4g and wifi is not available...so no you do not need either one.... and my wifi is rarely enabled anyways.

But my issue was an issue a lot of bionics are having...so for those having the same issue you can try 2 of known solutions

1- hard reset your phone ( take out the battery sd card and sim card for a couple minutes) some argue you only need to take out the battery but try both ways if you want
2- factory reset

entcee

Reaction score
As i basically said i been in the middle of nowhere..all i had was signal...no 3/4g and no wifi....i still received picture text sent to me....you have to think...before smart phones or dinosaur flip phones received pic texts with no wifi and no 3/4g. Our smartphones will receive mms the same way our dino phones did when 3/4g and wifi is not available...so no you do not need either one.... and my wifi is rarely enabled anyways.

But my issue was an issue a lot of bionics are having...so for those having the same issue you can try 2 of known solutions

1- hard reset your phone ( take out the battery sd card and sim card for a couple minutes) some argue you only need to take out the battery but try both ways if you want
2- factory reset

I would keep your phone, it is one-of-a-kind. You have the only Bionic that can download MMS without having a data connection.

This looks to be an Android issue, old phones did not use Android, so you cannot comare them. Here are MORE references... This is just how it is.
Issue 3241 - cyanogenmod - "Mobile Data" does not automatically turned on when sending MMS - CyanogenMod Android ROM - Google Project Hosting

It seems like I can only get MMS while on 3G but not on Wifi. I had someone on a Driod X, EVO and iPhone 3G send me MMS. - gdgt

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/35168-cant-send-receive-mms-over-wifi.html#post252606

http://androidforums.com/incredible-support-troubleshooting/212398-mms-without-3g-turned.html

I will add that some people are having problems sending / receiving MMS messages even if they are on 3G/4G, that is another problem altogether, but I am 99% sure you HAVE to be connected to the mobile data network to send / receive MMS messages.

Last edited:
OP
H

hamerman

Reaction score
no...not a one in a kind, but smart phones usually have the capabilities in them to act like a basic phone....you can argue all you want but call a cellphone tech on any cell phone carrier and cell phone manufacturer and ask for the technical side. but other then that im dont looking at the post i said what i said to help others with the problem this post originated on and to try and teach you something to so i wish everyone luck with their bionic if they had a similar problem :)