Cant download files

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Tjaden, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

Up until about 2 weeks ago I was able to download large files onto my phone over the 3G network. I work on computers alot out and about and use this feature to get drivers and software updates to put onto computers. Yet recently I haven't been able to download anything other than android market apps. I tried a bunch of different things, new browser, factory reset of my phone, nothing seems to work. Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions or maybe has a solution to this. The next step im going to do when I get time is format my SD card and see if there are any files on there that are causing the issue. Along with desync my account and phone so nothing will be installed without me knowing. Any tips or help would be appricated.
  2. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

What phone do you have and ROM etc???

I am having the same problems! I run Liquid 1.71 on my droid 1. Also I have random reboots! Just noticed this yesterday. I can no longer download email attachments especially word docs when I have office to go full version
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Tjaden are you getting a message when these files fail?
  4. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam New Member

Same problem running ss 4.8

droid 1 running SS 4.8
  5. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

Not exacly, Im running stock OS, what happens is the file said Untitled, then under downloads it says waiting for connection. It seems to connect and then says the download is complete. What I end up with is a file that is 32 or 33kb in size and the title is of what I'm trying to download. I tried 3 browsers, got the same results. After a factory reset I got it to download one file, then suddenly no more after that. I thought maybe Verizon blocked downloads now, but that wouldnt make much sense. Any ideas?
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'd have to try it on my own Droid to see what happens. Give me a download link and let me see. I'll use my D1 on WiFi and see if I can't pull it in.
  7. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

I tried to pull something off Megaupload, anything. Didnt work. Also Download.com. Nothing. Wifi was gunna be my next test when I get home. Of course I cant get on there cause work blocked it, ugh. Anyway I do own a D1 yes if that helps.
  8. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam New Member

I get download unseccusful and a force close issue when I say report it shows that the download manager is too blame so can I get a updated version

droid 1 running SS 4.8
  9. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

Good question, I thought it might be something like an update too. I could do it all the time before I factory reset my phone the first time. After I did, it worked a few times then down hill from there. Maybe something updated and I wasn't aware? If that's the case we would probably have to wait it out for a while. Wouldnt it prompt for an update though?

So I tried factory reset again. No different. So it's either on the SD card, 3G, or Verizon. It could be where Im downloading from too, but I doubt it since I get the same results everywhere >_>
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam New Member

just updated to ss 4. and everything works again dancedroid
  11. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

Brilliant, I might have to learn how to do that...but it's not Verizon. Cause I got on wifi and couldnt download anything either. Next test will be to format the SD card, see where that goes.

OK that didnt work either. So the problem lies within the Droid phone itself. I suppose I'll have to figure out how to do a SS4 or whatever that is. But other than that I cant think of anything else to try.
    At this point can anyone shed light on SS4? It seems to be like a mod or something, but I dont have the exact details. Links or a detailed explaination would be brilliant.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  12. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Tjaden, sorry, but (IMHO) BHS has hijacked this thread. What he is referring to is a custom rom. His first post (in this thread) was referring to ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.8 (ss 4.8) and his later post 'fix' says "updated to ss4" so there that is there. As I am sure you know, installing a custom rom requires one to root their phone, and yours is not rooted.

As to actually fixing your situation, do you have Astro File manager installed? I don't have a total solution but when I used to use Astro there was an option within it's menu to allow downloading "unknown" file types. I have a hunch that I haven't given you a good solution, but I hope it's a start.

good luck
  13. Tjaden

Tjaden New Member

I just tried Astro. No luck, same results. Guess ill have to learn how to root my phone and all. That's why I thought it was in the phones programng. Guess I was right.
  14. jrocketdroid

jrocketdroid New Member

I'm running into this same problem. Can't download from the market either.
  15. Garret

Garret New Member

I was also facing the same problem about downloading and now i get rid from this error by installing internet download manager which can download files more easily and fastly.
  16. tkstock

tkstock New Member

I'm having the same issue. Downloading attachments from gmail results in the "fetching..." dialog that never goes any further. I've seen a few other threads with similar issues, but no real solution. A DL manager is a workaround but not a solution. I tried an app called" Save My Attach" with no luck. Maybe I will try the IDM, and report back shortly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  17. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Garrett, I don't see an app in the market called "Internet Download Manager"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  18. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Another update

I installed Blackmoon AttachSave. Didn't work right off the bat, but once I re-booted the phone, I started getting options when I clicked download or preview, and then I could select the appropriate app to open the file - even VCF files would import into my contacts!

I may try uninstalling it to see if the change will stay... report again soon!
  19. tkstock

tkstock New Member

Yep, uninstalled AttachSave and Gmail still prompts me to open attachments! Yay!
  20. cnmsales

cnmsales New Member

I am also having this issue with downloading from websites in the browser. Cant fix anything. Running Lithium Mod .03. This has been ongoing but did used to work. Only file manager I have installed is ES FE
Search tags for this page
android cannot download files from internet

android download waiting for data connection

android waiting for data connection

android won't download large files
android won't download large files
android wont download large files
my phone wont download large files
phone wont download anything says untitled
phone wont download big files
phone wont download large files

waiting for data connection