Can't connect to WiFi with non-broadcast SSID

eptreyg

Reaction score
I'm running a netgear wireless N router that has the SSID broadcast turned off. Everything else in the house can connect to the router but my DX can't. When I turn on broadcast ID it operates just fine. Is anyone else having this issue or does someone know of a fix?

kpiskin

Reaction score
Did you manually type in the network information? I have had problems in the past with devices not wanting to connect unless I broadcast my SSID. I finally gave in an broadcast now. It's not like you are truly invisible anyway. Wardriving software picks up all wifi signals regardless of broadcast mode. You're better off to just set a MAC filter and only allow those devices on your list in. I do this kind of stuff for a living btw.

Reaction score
I'm running a netgear wireless N router that has the SSID broadcast turned off. Everything else in the house can connect to the router but my DX can't. When I turn on broadcast ID it operates just fine. Is anyone else having this issue or does someone know of a fix?

Windows XP Tablet edition had a similar issue... wouldn't connect to hidden WiFi networks. Only with SP2 did Microsoft add a checkbox that enabled them to connect to hidden SSIDs.

I have to echo what kpiskin says, hiding SSID and even MAC filtering doesn't deter "hackers" from getting in... it's the level and type of encryption that really deters and/or causes fits.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
This is really interesting because I have had the same problem with my Moto Droid since upgrading to Froyo, and it's not just ROM specific, it's any Froyo ROM. I would be willing to bet this is just an internal Android bug until they release some code to deal with it specifically.

Sectime

Reaction score
Did you manually type in the network information? I have had problems in the past with devices not wanting to connect unless I broadcast my SSID. I finally gave in an broadcast now. It's not like you are truly invisible anyway. Wardriving software picks up all wifi signals regardless of broadcast mode. You're better off to just set a MAC filter and only allow those devices on your list in. I do this kind of stuff for a living btw.
Agree use the highest encryption you can and check logs regularly for any weird stuff.