1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

TB not seeing wifi when SSID not broadcast

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Tech Support' started by CO Diver, Apr 4, 2011.

1. CO Diver

CO Diver New Member

For various security reasons I prefer not to broadcast the SSID of my wifi. All other security features are in place and I like to add this additional security function.

But for some reason, the TB will not see my wifi when the SSID is not broadcast. If it is broadcast, the TB connects up just fine. I've searched this forum and several others and have not seen any posts that deal with this issue.

Is there a way to get the TB to look for hidden SSIDs? I sure can't find it, if there is a way.
    Thanks!!!

TB users: :yr1:
  2. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

I don't broadcast the SSID either so I manually added it and now the phone sees it whenever I'm home...
  3. CO Diver

CO Diver New Member

I appreciate knowing someone has been able to get the TB to see an SSID that is not being broadcast.

Could you please elaborate on how you "manually added it"? I've been through all the options of the TB and flat can't see anything that would allow it to connect when the SSID is not broadcast. In fact, I can turn the SSID off on the wireless router and watch the wireless connection get dropped by the TB. But when I turn the SSID back on, the TB will automatically connect with no problems. It's got me pulling out what little hair I have left. :icon_evil:

Thanks, again!!!
  4. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

All Apps > Settings > Wireless and Networks > Wi-Fi settings > Add Wi-Fi Network

you can manually type in the SSiD along with the security type and key.

hope that helps :)
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

A hidden SSID does little for security. Anyone actually looking for hidden ones can find them.
  6. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

You have to manually add all hidden SSID networks in setting>wireless & networks>wireless settings>add network. This will give you the option to add a hidden ssid network.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
  7. nh2123

nh2123 New Member

i have a motorola droid 1. even when i manually add the ssid and passkey it still wont connect to my wifi. it works fine when ssid is on. nothing is wrong with my internet or router. also i have tried the app. hidden ssid enabler to no avail. any one with similiar issues here?
  8. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Once in a while I have to manually forget all the remembered wifi spots but mine won't connect to anything when this happens. Might give that a try.
  9. rtrowgo

rtrowgo New Member

ssid broadcast truth

Here is the fact I was told by HTC support in Australia. This is a design feature of new phones. It will not be fixed. My opinion is this proves once again how companies abuse our rights to privacy. Broadcasting is not very protective but legally stops Google vans from seeing your WiFi info as you took the step to turn of off. By removing the option to connect with broadcast off the companies are forcing a choice. Let them see your private info or you loose ability to do what you could otherwise do. I pity HTC They never learned from the hero mess. I'll ne going to Motorola on first release of their 4G
  10. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

I don't broadcast my SSID and my Thunderbolt sees my network just fine since day one...

edited: after manually adding it the first time of course
  11. rtrowgo

rtrowgo New Member

ssid

You are on broadcast then. It is a feature of some routers to not have it transmit the network name. It is still visible but adds a step to connect. I manually addedanf have gone staticto find. It returns no broadcast woeven try to connect. Funny this HTC issue on Motorola ground. Another reason to stay with what works. If you are really aware how to manipulate security settings please share. N2000 Cisco/ linksys Droid2 fine. HTC blunderbus fail.
  12. Javaknight

Javaknight New Member

I have the Linksys WRT54G and at least according to what I've read disabling the SSID broadcast and using a shared key should make it non-visible. The TB didn't see it until I added it, the same as other wireless devices. I'll look into it some more but I'm still not convinced it's broadcasting as you claim...
  13. dunno

dunno New Member

I had this non SSID problem on my TB too, so I'm assuming you have a wireless N router. My bolt picks up all signals except for non SSID N signals. You will have to go into your router and configure it to transmit only G signals. Once that is done, disable SSID. Everything should be working fine after that. Hope this helps.
  14. kono

kono New Member

Setting the router to transmit "Wireless-G Only" worked for me. You would think the phone would have that bug worked out, as wireless-n routers default to mixed mode :p thanks for the help!
  15. GENO

GENO New Member

It can be done

Just got the TB a couple of days ago and finally had some time to troubleshoot this issue. The trick is to create your manual WIFI network connection with the SSID broadcast turned off. I first tried it with it turned on and it connected just fine. As soon as I turned the SSID broadcast off, it could never find it again. Somehow the TB knows when creating the WIFI connection whether the SSID was broadcast or not. The full path for getting to this point:
    Menu | Settings | Wireless & Networks | Wi-Fi Settings | Add Wi-Fi network
  16. CO Diver

CO Diver New Member

I finally got time to hack into the router (forgot my pswd) and setting it to 802.11g only & hiding the SSID allowed the TB to find the hidden SSID when connected to the wireless network.

I agree with kono in that you'd think after two s/w pushes to the phone they would have corrected not being able to find hidden SSID on 802.11n routers...:blink:
  17. mpeterson28

mpeterson28 New Member

No SSID Broadcast

My phone was able to connect with no ssid broadcast when i first purchased it, but lost the ability after resetting the phone to its default settings. Disabling SSID is more secure because it makes it more difficult for someone to collect packets to decrypt a protected network. During periods when no wireless devices are in use, there are no packets for someone to try collecting. I read there was an app available to enable the phone to connect to a network with none broadcast, and an option located in the settings somewhere to manually allow the phone to connect. Even adding the correct SSID and passphrase will not allow the phone to connect unless one of the above two options has been implemented.
Search tags for this page
android broadcast ssid

android ssid not broadcast

android wifi ssid broadcast
does non broadcast network stop n network from processing
find network ssid on htc thunderbolt phone
how to find ssid on htc dna
how to find ssid on my verizon thunderbolt
htc dna hidden network

htc thunderbolt wifi hidden ssid

manually added ssid wrong settings
s4 problem with non-broadcast wifi