TB not seeing wifi when SSID not broadcast

OP
C

CO Diver

Reaction score
For various security reasons I prefer not to broadcast the SSID of my wifi. All other security features are in place and I like to add this additional security function.

But for some reason, the TB will not see my wifi when the SSID is not broadcast. If it is broadcast, the TB connects up just fine. I've searched this forum and several others and have not seen any posts that deal with this issue.

Is there a way to get the TB to look for hidden SSIDs? I sure can't find it, if there is a way.
Thanks!!!

TB users: :yr1:

I had this non SSID problem on my TB too, so I'm assuming you have a wireless N router. My bolt picks up all signals except for non SSID N signals. You will have to go into your router and configure it to transmit only G signals. Once that is done, disable SSID. Everything should be working fine after that. Hope this helps.

Setting the router to transmit "Wireless-G Only" worked for me. You would think the phone would have that bug worked out, as wireless-n routers default to mixed mode :p thanks for the help!

I finally got time to hack into the router (forgot my pswd) and setting it to 802.11g only & hiding the SSID allowed the TB to find the hidden SSID when connected to the wireless network.

I agree with kono in that you'd think after two s/w pushes to the phone they would have corrected not being able to find hidden SSID on 802.11n routers...:blink:

mpeterson28

Reaction score
No SSID Broadcast

I don't broadcast my SSID and my Thunderbolt sees my network just fine since day one...

edited: after manually adding it the first time of course

My phone was able to connect with no ssid broadcast when i first purchased it, but lost the ability after resetting the phone to its default settings. Disabling SSID is more secure because it makes it more difficult for someone to collect packets to decrypt a protected network. During periods when no wireless devices are in use, there are no packets for someone to try collecting. I read there was an app available to enable the phone to connect to a network with none broadcast, and an option located in the settings somewhere to manually allow the phone to connect. Even adding the correct SSID and passphrase will not allow the phone to connect unless one of the above two options has been implemented.