Can't access SD card on Droid X...why?

rokndj

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before. I did do a search for a solution prior to posting this.

Everything worked fine up until today. Now I cant access my SD card from my PC. It keeps saying "preparing SD card"...over and over. On my PC it just shows it as a removeable disk. I can see the files on the SD card from the phone so it appears to be working fine. The phone occassionally randomly reboots itself while plugged into the computer also.

Any idea how to correct this?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
did you at one point forget to unmount your phone? I know that can cause issues down the road. Might need to format the card.

OP
rokndj

rokndj

Reaction score
Sorry to say this...but I'm not sure what is meant by mounting and unmounting a phone. I never had this with my Blackberry and am obviously new to the Droid X.

I appreciate any help :0)

Edit: I have never removed the SD card. I did just go to settings and unmounted....then mounted the card and it still does the same thing. The files do show to be on the SD card as I can see them on the phone..and can access them.

Last edited:

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Sorry to say this...but I'm not sure what is meant by mounting and unmounting a phone. I never had this with my Blackberry and am obviously new to the Droid X.

I appreciate any help :0)

Edit: I have never removed the SD card. I did just go to settings and unmounted....then mounted the card and it still does the same thing. The files do show to be on the SD card as I can see them on the phone..and can access them.

When you plug your phone into the computer a USB symbol will appear in the notification bar. Click on it and select the option USB Mass Storage. If it still does not work, try toggling between PC Mode, Media Sync, etc, and then back to USB Mass Storage.

*Mine is shown as a Removable Disk also, but I can access all my files via the computer.

Let us know if this solves your issue.

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
I hope you didnt wipe your card out....its very easy to do.By wipe out I mean make it unreadable...so youd have to format it(erase,and mount it again so it sees it)...I did it on my droid 1.I cringe everytime i plug into my pc with my X......I dont trust the system,I usually turn off the phone and then unplug the mini usb,then reboot,that way i know the sd card has been "released" by the pc for sure....it works the smoothest that way for me..