Cannot Properly Reassign Phone Button

nerdbox08

Reaction score
AND THE SOLUTION, AT LEAST FOR HANDS FREE VOICE DIALING

One of you said this and I disregarded it. If you hold down the search button, you can speak a command. I thought it was just going to search the web as it usually did. But when I said "call mike smith on mobile" - the call went through LIGHTNING QUICK. WOW. It was AWESOME.

THIS is what frustrates the @#$$ing heck out of me. I have wasted numerous hours of time dealing with the utter incompetence of those at Motorola/Google who brought this phone to market. There is a provided "Voice Dialer" app which is supposed to be for voice dialing. IT SUCKS. It's rarely accurate and the "voice dialer" can't even dial the phone!!!!! Are you kidding me???

So now someone here tells me about the google voice activated search. For reasons I cannot explain, not only does it SEARCH, but if it hits your contact dead on, it WILL not only find the right contact and better than the voice dialer but it will also DIAL THE PHONE. Seriously... did anyone at Motorola bother even checking out how these common features work.

Thanks to whomever made this suggestion. I don't need to spend the $4 on Voice Dialer HF right now and I can delete the less than worthless "Voice Dialer" from the home screen....

You can do all sorts of fancy with the Google Search via voice. Math problems, navigation, web searches.

I do agree with you on this account. Why is the Google Voice Search so much better compared to the built in stuff?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
.....Their utter inexperience shows.

Didn't feel the need to re-post everything we said.

I'm not saying this phone doesn't have problems, I've always been one to do my best to prevent myself from being a fanboy type person.

I suppose it didn't come across plainly enough: I've not had these problems, I see others might have them, but I haven't gone out searching for those types of problems because I don't have them. You're more than welcome to bring them to my attention, but please make sure you are responding to what I said, not what you are implying I said.

I've had the night to think more about this and I even went scouring around attempting to find a solution to your problem, and it shocks me(even though I'm not in need of this feature) that there is only one app that handles this. You've already tried that app and it's dismal at best. It seems like it hasn't been updated/fixed in a long time.

The best solution I can come up with is to attempt to ask someone to make this app; it can be done, we see a semi-working version available. We know it can work because so many other programs override those buttons.

So where is that someone who will do it? I think the best choice of action would be to look over at that xda site and see if they've found some solution for this up to this point; if not maybe toss them a few bucks to get this made?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
More stupid.

The only thing stupid is to ignore the fact that there is a real design defect instead of trying to FIX an obvious problem and find a solution. Covering eyes and ears from all criticism of the precious Droid and yelling "Stupid!!! More Stoopid!!!" means you're in some kind of denial. I'm sorry for you and your Droid.

no no.. he said "stupider" and i was helping him out. ;)

OP
H

hinky

Reaction score
More stupid.

The only thing stupid is to ignore the fact that there is a real design defect instead of trying to FIX an obvious problem and find a solution. Covering eyes and ears from all criticism of the precious Droid and yelling "Stupid!!! More Stoopid!!!" means you're in some kind of denial. I'm sorry for you and your Droid.

And you were helping by....

Whatever, drop it. I've come to realize that Motorola completely dropped the ball on a decent piece of hardware and fortunately there are developers who save the Droid from being the failure it would have been without them. I just wish I didn't have to invest numerous hours in figuring out how to get the droid setup properly.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

And you were helping by....

Whatever, drop it. I've come to realize that Motorola completely dropped the ball on a decent piece of hardware and fortunately there are developers who save the Droid from being the failure it would have been without them. I just wish I didn't have to invest numerous hours in figuring out how to get the droid setup properly.

you are probably right.

studbike

Reaction score
I'd like to jump in to an old thread and defend the original poster. A lot of ppl have said "don't you think they designed it this way for a reason?" "dont you think they paid attention to market research".. NO. Of course its tempting to think that smart people made these decisions and are paid big bucks to obsessively think about them all night, but the truth is, these devices are rushed to market at a blistering pace, and this oversight may have come down to one person not thinking straight. Then, once the design is locked in, its locked in, its too late, and thats how its gonna be. The RAZR was brought to market very quickly, and the design was based on the original drawing made by a low-level designer at motorola. So lets not put it past them to commit a vast oversight. I find it unbelievable that the power button cant be programmed to end the call after holding it down for 2 seconds. Why wouldnt that have been a satisfactory compromise? Its very weird that there is a button to turn your screen off while on a call but not to turn the call off while on a call. Why would anyone ever want to turn the screen off during a call in such a hurry that they cant wait a few seconds for it to turn off itself? I agree with the original poster, this is a massive design defect that could easily be solved with software, but it probably won't be, cuz that costs $$ and people at motorola are hard at work bringing their next phone to market.