WARNING: Chrono Trigger unplayable on Snesoid!

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Do not bother playing Chrono Trigger on your Droid. It will only lead to frustration.

I'm a few hours into the game, at Lab 16 in the future world. You are required to open a door to progress the storyline, which can only be done by pressing "A" while holding the "L" and "R" keys simultaneously.

This is impossible to accomplish with Snesoid.

Not sure if it's a limitation of the Droid's keyboard function or the emulator itself, but it does not recognize you "holding" a button. I think when you hold down a key, it registers as if you are pressing it rapidly.

Either that, or the hardware/software does not recognize three keys being pressed at once. I've read somewhere that certain platformers are unplayable because you cannot move, run, and jump at the same time. I never thought that would render an RPG unplayable... this is especially disappointing because I just bought a Game Gripper specifically to play Chrono Trigger.

Don't waste your time like I did.

Since I'm using the Game Gripper, my "A" button was bound to the "ENTER" key on the Droid. For some reason, The Droid/Snesoid treats the ENTER key differently from the other ones when two other buttons are simultaneously being held. When the "A" button was bound to any of the other Game Gripper buttons, it worked on the first try. A temporary reassignment of keys will get you through this part of the game. Those of you not using a Game Gripper should ignore this thread altogether.

As a side note, I tried playing Super Mario RPG and can confirm that you CAN press three buttons simultaneously (move, run, jump).

Last edited:

carbonnoid

Reaction score
yah, same problem on gameoid, games feeze up many hours in! this is a big problem that needs to be fixed!

wickedkae

Reaction score
funny im stuck here as well. BUT i did get past the 1st password section using the buttons, but cant pass the second for some reason.

If anyone knows a work around id love to hear it

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've basically given up on defeating the final boss of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. I can't seem to press buttons fast enough to beat that damn thing, not to mention my buttons are now permanently "less clicky" because of playing too much lol.

maxohkc

Reaction score
Shhh

Hey guys umm the maker of snesoid is working on a playstation emulator and well we don't want him to stop work on this to fix this small error come on!!! haha

Bufhimat

Reaction score
The Droid's kayboard is capable of recognizing multiple simultaneous key presses (at least two). I can't remember if it was NetHack or the C64 emulator that I was using at the time, but one of those two required me to hold the shift key while typing to produce caps.

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
The Game Gripper would alleviate this problem.

Yeah I don't see why you can't pass this part?

Please read the original post. I AM using a Game Gripper.

The problem is not related to that at all. I don't have a problem physically being able to press three buttons at once; it's the Droid/Snesoid that doesn't recognize three buttons being inputted at the same time.

Has anyone been able to get past the point in Chrono Trigger that I'm talking about? Anybody?

UPDATE: Problem solved! See the original post for info.

Last edited:

lupajunie

Reaction score
snesoid IS playable

Hey I'm an HTC Evo owner with snesoid also playing chrono trigger. I was able to pass that area. What I had to do was disable the virtual keyboard and then I mapped out l+r+a all on my volume rocker button. Worked like a charm.

solar

Reaction score
I was able to pass this without the game gripper also. some of the button combos are not that easy without the gripper. I didn't get mine until i was 3/4's through the game already. much easier after!

Loyrl

Reaction score
Wierd, I beat the game a few months ago. I changed my defualt buttons around though.

A=A
B=S
Y=Y
X=X
L1=Q
L2=W
Save=left shift
Load=^

Catching the rat was tough for me, I don't have a game gripper. Also getting the doors to open with the electrical charge took a little while.

solar

Reaction score
Wierd, I beat the game a few months ago. I changed my defualt buttons around though.

A=A
B=S
Y=Y
X=X
L1=Q
L2=W
Save=left shift
Load=^

Catching the rat was tough for me, I don't have a game gripper. Also getting the doors to open with the electrical charge took a little while.

I change my config too, but mine differs from yours a bit. I also had issues getting past both those spots as well. luckily the Robo electrical part, was just about the time I got the gripper so I used it and made it on the first try. I was so hard without it. and damn that rat by the way!