Cannot make calls, but can do everything else.

Reaction score
Hey guys
Did not think I would have to be back here asking for technical help, but here I am. So today I went to call my dad and immediately my phone says that the call was lost before ringing or anything. I tried again and noticed that the 3G icon vanishes for an instant before the call is lost message appears. Verizon tried a ton of stuff and they say it is the phone, I don't see how it is the phone because I can do everything else. I can receive calls, text, surf and download just fine. I have tried power cycling and turning airplane mode off and on. I have also tried the *228 and it says that there is a problem activating and to contact support. Any thoughts?

thesumo

Reaction score
Exactly the same issue.

I've been having the same issue for weeks now. I've scoured the internets for a solution, but this is the first time I have found someone with the same issue. I too took my Droid to Verizon, and they sent me a new one, assuming something was wrong with the old phone. Once I restored my apps and such back on my phone, this new phone started having the same issues. I've been at a loss for what to do. My best guess is that it is a specific app that is causing the problem, but the only thing I could think of that might interfere with the phone operation would be LauncherPro, and no one else is having that trouble as far as I can tell. This might be unrelated, but Google Navigation also CTDs on me (no Force close/wait message, it just turns off), and that started around the same time that it stopped making calls. Like blackjoker, I can receive calls, send texts, and do everything else, just not make calls myself. it only seems to drop the calls when I bring the phone to my ear and the screen blacks out; if I turn it on speakerphone and keep the screen on, it tends to work just fine. Help!!:icon_ nono2:

thesumo

Reaction score
Solution

Just in case anyone else has this issue, I found the solution. If you have an app killer with the auto kill function, either you must be careful what you set to autokill, or make use that you don't use any "kill when screen turns off" function. Turns out, my task killer was killing my phone call whenever the screen turned off!