Cannot enable stock Text Messaging app after JB 4.1.1 update

winordieracin

Reaction score
Kind of wondering if Im te only one haveing this issue. Using a non rooted razr hd maxx and normally I use handcent for my main text app. I usually keep the stock app disabled. The stock app was disabled when the OTA JB update came to my phone and now that Im running 4.1.1 the stock text app will not allow me to re-enable it. The button for enable/disable is grayed out.

I have read up on this issue quite a bit but dont seem to be finding a resolution. After some reading it seems that the stock app is permanently enabled in JB 4.1.1. I dont use the app often but do like to check back with it to see if anything has changed after updates.

The one thing that i can think of I havent tried was a factory reset.

Any help would be great!

Dave37

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue with my girlfriends Razr M. I cannot figure out how to enable it again. It shows disabled at the bottom of the list but the disable button is grayed out. The only reason this is an issue is because we noticed she is unable to receive MMS so we wanted to enable the stock app to see if that was it. Turns out we can't.

OP
winordieracin

winordieracin

Reaction score
Well finally after no reply I went to the Verizon store and they did a reset on the phone. I had the stock text msg app disabled when I did the update to 4.1 which let if permanently disabled. All they did was give me a number to call and had me press some buttons and it reset the phone. Once we did that I was finally able to enable the stock text msg app. However I will tell you that once your on 4.1 and you have them reset it you will no longer be able to disable the app without rooting the device. That was a change from 4.0 to 4.1 evidently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
For some reason, you can not disable the stock messaging app on 4.1.1 regardless of whether the phone is reset or not. My phone is that way as well as my wife's RAZZR M. We lost the ability to put another messaging app on the wake up screen as well. :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2.

OP
winordieracin

winordieracin

Reaction score
I completely forgot about not being able to have your favorite text app to the home screen. That really bugs me. I had forgotten about it after a while. Anyone know if 4.2 allows you to add a different text app to the home screen?

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Had same problem... Used titanium b/u and froze stock app.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lifz

Reaction score
they...had me press some buttons and it reset the phone. Once we did that I was finally able to enable the stock text msg app.

I think many people are experiencing the same issue. What buttons did they have you press?

lifz

Reaction score
I just fixed this for myself by installing and running Titanium Backup, finding the app in the list, and clicking "Defrost !". I was then able to use the app! I don't recall ever freezing it before, so I think Titanium Backup knows which apps have been disabled via the native "Manage Apps" process. I believe that is true because TB also lists other apps as frozen apps and I KNOW I didn't freeze those. For the ones it lists as frozen, I did click "Disable" in the native manage apps process.

I hope this helps others!

jaydub5

Reaction score
Try Whatsapp. Boom... done. I use the stock text app as well.

lifz

Reaction score
Try Whatsapp. Boom... done.
Are you saying that using Whatsapp will allow you to enable the stock app? There are hundreds (thousands?) of alternative texting apps but the OP's and this thread's concern is re-enabling the stock texting app after upgrading to JB. One fix is listed 2 posts above.