Can someone explain rooting (and unrooting)?

Audiophobe

Reaction score
I bought a used S 3.
It works great but I noticed that I couldn't update the software and can't run "back up assisisant plus".
When I contacted the seller he said it was rooted.
I've heard of it but I'm not sure exactly what it means, what the advantages and disadvantages are, and if I can or should unroot it.
I would think that not being able to update it alone is a big disadvantage.
Can anyone give answers?
Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
my sig should be of some help in terms of explanation. if root isn't for you, I would try to get him to unroot it because it's not an easy process for everyone. and yes, you cannot upgrade software using verizon's OTA updates if its rooted.

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Does he have to unroot it or can I (with help of this forum)?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
anyone can, let me find a thread..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? Did the app say anything about being on a certain version?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? Did the app say anything about being on a certain version?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I did not.
As far as I could see it did not ask for a certain version but when I downloaded it gave a "Stopped Working" message so I stopped and uninstalled immediately fearing that I may damage the phone.
The guy I bought it from said he would unroot it if I send the phone back to him but I don't feel like being w/o my phone for several days.
I checked out some Youtube videos and the process is a bit "techy" for me but when I have time I may sit down and try it sometime. I fear that I may screw it, and my phone, up. Or maybe I'll find someone local to help me out.
I didn't realize that it was that complicated and I wonder if it's worth it at this point.
Again, for me, I don't see the advantage of rooting at all (I still don't get it) and see the disadvantage of not being able to take advantage of software updates.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're happy with the software verizon puts out and the current setup of your phone, then there's not a reason to keep root. That was just one way of unrooting. Odin can be used but again that's not that easy. YouTube and Google can be your friends since I'm mobile. I might have some time in the next couple days to walk you through the process.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
If you're happy with the software verizon puts out and the current setup of your phone, then there's not a reason to keep root. That was just one way of unrooting. Odin can be used but again that's not that easy. YouTube and Google can be your friends since I'm mobile. I might have some time in the next couple days to walk you through the process.

I would like the updates and I am obviously not sophisticated enough to take advantage of a rooted phone so my preference is to unroot. Otherwise, it probably does affect my day to day use of the phone one way or another.
Thanks for your help. I'll try the triangle method again sometime but evenyually, I'll wait for you or retry Youtube.
Again, thanks for your help!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would like the updates and I am obviously not sophisticated enough to take advantage of a rooted phone so my preference is to unroot. Otherwise, it probably does affect my day to day use of the phone one way or another.
Thanks for your help. I'll try the triangle method again sometime but evenyually, I'll wait for you or retry Youtube.
Again, thanks for your help!

Check your private messages