Can I Unlock My Hotspot on My S7?

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Side note: I did call AT&T and asked them about enabling my wifi due to the fact that their service does not work well at my home.

They informed me though they could not unlock my hotspot with the unlimited plan. They could change my plan to 100gb per month, to allow me access to my hotspot, at the mear price of $375 per month. What a deal right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, and you can see thhere
Well, here is where I am stumped. Chromcast requires home internet to work off of. I do not have internet at home only on our phones.

I have a device similar to chromecastexcept it does not require wifi and or internet to function. It connects to my phone via wifi and transmits that way.

It's not so much that you have to have "WIFI internet", just that you have a device which connects to the phone via WIFI to enable it. Since the Chromecast connects with the phone via WIFI it allows the phone to make the WIFI Sharing active.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Side note: I did call AT&T and asked them about enabling my wifi due to the fact that their service does not work well at my home.

They informed me though they could not unlock my hotspot with the unlimited plan. They could change my plan to 100gb per month, to allow me access to my hotspot, at the mear price of $375 per month. What a deal right?

Don't give up Unlimited unless you are sure you'll save money. Once you add Hotspot and your children begin using it for home internet, you'll start chewing down data like no tomorrow. If you're on a tiered plan, you'd be at risk of going over and getting hit with overage charges.

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Here's my list.
420d0dd249b0e7402cce002b63f4e1ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yup, will not work in your system. :/

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Chromecast requires internet to work as a Chromecast. It doesn't require it for this hack to work.

Watch your video again. All he's doing is connecting to the Chromecast via the wifi network that the Chromecast creates.

He specifically didn't connect to his other network that has internet because he was showing you that you just need to connect to a wifi network. You don't need internet according to that video. You just need the phone to connect to the wifi signal to fool the checks they have in place.

Sent from my Moto Z
Ohhhhhhhhh, so chromecast operates as a internet system itself! I was assuming it worked as some type of repeater that worked injunction with home internet.

Ok then, that makes things different.

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Yes, and you can see thhere

It's not so much that you have to have "WIFI internet", just that you have a device which connects to the phone via WIFI to enable it. Since the Chromecast connects with the phone via WIFI it allows the phone to make the WIFI Sharing active.
But my screenmini2 does the same thing. It works off of wifi as well. And I tried it with my screenmini and it didn't work.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ohhhhhhhhh, so chromecast operates as a internet system itself! I was assuming it worked as some type of repeater that worked injunction with home internet.

Ok then, that makes things different.

Intranet (internal network), versus Internet (external network), but yeah, you're understanding correctly. The Chromecast acts as a WIFI transceiver, and the "receiver" part of transceiver is what gives your phone a WIFI connection, solely for the purpose of receiving data - video and audio, from the phone and display it on the TV. It only transmits to the phone enough data to negotiate the connection and maintain it, so it is essentially a one-way device.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But my screenmini2 does the same thing. It works off of wifi as well. And I tried it with my screenmini and it didn't work.

I'll have to research the ScreenBeam Mini2, but it may be using only a portion of the WIFI connection and perhaps not enough to trigger the WIFI sharing on the phone.

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Ok one second. Let me show you the specs on what I currently have verses chrome cast

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
883bcd6f18e7b5df17ec2a488d21ed59.jpg

Chromecast

dfe3791040ee1e3dbdd59072b81fba46.jpg

Screen Beam mini 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
883bcd6f18e7b5df17ec2a488d21ed59.jpg

Chromecast

dfe3791040ee1e3dbdd59072b81fba46.jpg

ScreenBeam Mini2

Yes, they both communicate with WIFI, but obviously if it doesn't work and the Chromecast does then there's something missing in the Screen Beam Mini2.

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Yes, they both communicate with WIFI, but obviously if it doesn't work and the Chromecast does then there's something missing in the Screen Beam Mini2.
This is true. And for my overworked brain, something i should have thought of to begin with.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is true. And for my overworked brain, something i should have thought of to begin with.

Nah... Don't underestimate your technical aptitude. You're way along, much more than most cellular phone users.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know anything about your device, but I know that the Chromecast has a "guest mode" where a friend could come over & use their phone to cast to my TV without actually being on MY network. They connect directly to the Chromecast that way via wifi, kinda like this.

When you first get a Chromecast & set it up to use it the way it's intended, you also connect to it directly via wifi so you can set it up to work on your wifi network & access the internet.

If your device requires your phone & the device to be on the same wifi network to talk to each other & the device can't create it's own "ad hoc" network, that could be why it doesn't work like the Chromecast does.

If that makes any sense?

Sent from my Moto Z