Can I get a phone elsewhere to keep my VWZ unlimited data plan?

debrad0307

Reaction score
I work for Verizon.. if you want to keep your unlimited data you could get a Certified Pre Owned phone from Verizon. They have the S3 for $419.99. The phones are in like new condition and are fully functional. In this situation, you can't upgrade. You will loose the unlimited data. But, since I've been working for them I have never seen a person with Unlimited Data use more than 2 GB anyway. You should really look at your usage and see if unlimited data is even worth paying full price for a phone. The tiered data really isn't THAT bad.

.:Sent from my S3:.

akhi216

Reaction score
Get a refurbished phone from a top rated seller on eBay or buy a phone from Cowboom.com.

debrad0307

Reaction score
??? said:
yeah, i don't think you can put a new smart phone on grandma's line on a 2 year plan discount then move it off before 2 years without having to pay for data or some fee

Yeah, actually you could. There is no fee. You won't loose your unlimited data either. If you were to swap devices between 2 lines on your account everytgobf would remain the same. Grandma's line would not change. Your line would not loose data since Grandma's line was the one who renewed their contract. So, that is also an option. Just don't tell them you plan to swap devices after the upgrade because they will want to push an Alternate MDN upgrade on you and then you WOULD loose unlimited data. So, of this is your plan. Upgrade grandma's line, accept the 2 year for that line, activate tow phone on that line first, then switch devices between your line and grandma's line.

debrad0307

Reaction score
comk4ver said:
@keepitreal, when you move the new 4G smartphone to your line you have to go to the corporate store, right because they need to give you a new sim card for the unlimited data phone? And since you are at the corporate store you can have them cancel the data plan on grandma's line right? I need to get this story straight because I'm about to try it (boyfriend wants that new HTC dna phone).
Fyi, two years ago I bought a used droid x from a friend and I had I insurance on my previous moto droid weirdly enough my insurance covered the droid x when I lost it three months later... My point is this that insurance once you have it covers any phone you place on your line (I'm currently still being charged and I got my nexus from eBay).

No. He can just go into a VZW store or an independent reseller and get a new SIM. Same times that's not even necessary. He's going to have to call in to swap devices though.

UncleVanya

Reaction score
You can call and they can send a sim in the mail. Also you can usually activate online or with phone call.

Sent via Tapatalk...

comk4ver

Reaction score
So you can't just switch the phones online via the website? Also question, so the line that I want to transfer the upgrade to just recently upgraded does that matter? Will I have to renew for another two years?

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
If you lose your unlimited data it's not the end of the world. I've been with em since 96-97 and just recently gave up my unlimited a few months ago when my Wi-Fi quit working. 10Gb shared with my Nexus, my wife's smartphone, and two teenagers with smartphones. Both mine and my wife's are constantly used as hotspots and we end up around 9-9.5gb by months end.....mind you again with 4 smartphones.

OP
T

tndroid

Reaction score
Another question, once I get a phone, let's say, from ebay, and use it with VZ and continue with my unlimited 4G data, do i need to renew my contract with VZ or I can just go month-to-month for the same monthly charge? Thanks!:blink:

mattjenn

Reaction score
You only have to renew contract if your buying a subsidized phone if you get a phone elsewhere or buy full retail no renewal needed

player52

Reaction score
hey guys whats the average price for a used nexus? looking to buy one used on ebay but dont want to overpay.

nahaluk

Reaction score
I work for Verizon.. if you want to keep your unlimited data you could get a Certified Pre Owned phone from Verizon. They have the S3 for $419.99. The phones are in like new condition and are fully functional. In this situation, you can't upgrade. You will loose the unlimited data. But, since I've been working for them I have never seen a person with Unlimited Data use more than 2 GB anyway. You should really look at your usage and see if unlimited data is even worth paying full price for a phone. The tiered data really isn't THAT bad.

You might not use more then 2GB, but Verizon charges you more (phone fee 40$+60$ for data) which is why? I pay 30$ for unlimited - have the price for 2GB, why would I agree to pay more, even if I'm not using more than 2gigs?! My bill now is 70$ which 30$ less then Verizon wants to take from me. If I decide to buy new GS3, I still get to keep 150$.
I don't see why I should upgrade at all!

junky

Reaction score
So if I have a 3G phone now with unlimited data, I can buy a used 4G phone and continue with unlimited 4G data?

nahaluk

Reaction score
So if I have a 3G phone now with unlimited data, I can buy a used 4G phone and continue with unlimited 4G data?

Yes, you can, if the phone supports 4G. I got my nexus galaxy and just switched devices without any upgrades of device or plan.

mattjenn

Reaction score
If you call customer service or go to corporate store Sim card is free for customers if you go to authorized retail I have seen them charge as much as $20

cokey

Reaction score
bringing this bit of an older thread back.. i average 26 GB a month.. highest is usually 35 GB..

now, i read some place on a question bored, like yahoo questions, where some one mentioned you can keep your unlimited data when you upgrade if you do it through a 3rd party store.. there was a way to do it... a 3rd party store worker was the one who posted it and mentioned all 3rd party stores can do it if they want to... it was a loop hole..

now any one know if this is still possible? i dont wanna pay 800$ for a note....

my upgrade is available the 30th.. my wifes a month or 2 after.. we have an unlimited share plan... i'm the main account holder.. would she be able to use my upgrade and keep unlimited and me use hers and keep it?