camera zoom fx is just frickin awesome

Technoman

Reaction score
dpi means nothing, only pixel resolution is important which is the same in Camera zoom - article below from Dpi, misunderstandings and explanation, what is dpi

You can find the properties of your digital photos in a photo editing program, but also in the Windows Explorer. Do a rightclick on your file and next: Properties > Summary > Advanced. These properties are called the EXIF-data. Or short EXIF. In that row also a value for dpi is given, f.e. the number 72, 180, 300 etc. This is a number without any meaning, it is an invented number! A box (field) has to be filled in, so every producer simply invents a number. Don't get confused, it is nonsense.
A photofile in a camera or (stored at) a computer has no size in centimeters or inches. So no ppi (or dpi). Such a file only has a subdivision, a resolution, in pixels. From the moment you are going to print there is the matter of size, given in inches or centimeters. Only then you can speak of pixels per inch

Sarah, you are correct that DPI means nothing if you are using the picture for Social web sites, and viewing on a monitor. If you want to print, then the DPI not only means something it means everything. Anything you print that is less than 300 dpi will not print at decent quality.

By the way the article that you reference even states that if you read way down. I can't believe that the writer of that article states that it means NOTHING, when later he contradicts himself. DPI (or dots per inch) is absolutely important for printing of digital media. If it is truly being saved at 72 dpi then the picture is good only for file sharing via social networks or showing someone on your phone or PC screen.

Last edited:

rkeller62

Reaction score
dpi means nothing, only pixel resolution is important which is the same in Camera zoom - article below from Dpi, misunderstandings and explanation, what is dpi

You can find the properties of your digital photos in a photo editing program, but also in the Windows Explorer. Do a rightclick on your file and next: Properties > Summary > Advanced. These properties are called the EXIF-data. Or short EXIF. In that row also a value for dpi is given, f.e. the number 72, 180, 300 etc. This is a number without any meaning, it is an invented number! A box (field) has to be filled in, so every producer simply invents a number. Don't get confused, it is nonsense.
A photofile in a camera or (stored at) a computer has no size in centimeters or inches. So no ppi (or dpi). Such a file only has a subdivision, a resolution, in pixels. From the moment you are going to print there is the matter of size, given in inches or centimeters. Only then you can speak of pixels per inch

Sarah, you are correct that DPI means nothing if you are using the picture for Social web sites, and viewing on a monitor. If you want to print, then the DPI not only means something it means everything. Anything you print that is less than 300 dpi will not print at decent quality.

By the way the article that you reference even states that if you read way down. I can't believe that the writer of that article states that it means NOTHING, when later he contradicts himself. DPI (or dots per inch) is absolutely important for printing of digital media. If it is truly being saved at 72 dpi then the picture is good only for file sharing via social networks or showing someone on your phone or PC screen.

But all images captured by almost any camera will list the DPI as 72. This is not the actual resolution of the image, but is rather just a number that tells applications what the default pixel DENSITY is. A picture captured by the Droid in 5 MP mode is 2592 x 1936 pixels. By default, the pixel DENSITY is listed as 72 DPI for this image. All this means is that the default print size of the image is 36" x 27" and I think everyone would agree that the picture would look terrible if actually printed at that size. However, take that same 2592 x 1936 image and print it at 8.6" x 6.5" ( a pixel density of 300 DPI) and it will look just fine. The key here is, while DPI may not be meaningless, you need to understand the context of it. It in NO way changes that actual resolution of the image. I actually run my Droid at 3 MP resolution as my camera takes much more consistent pictures at that resolution. At that resolution I get an image with 2048 x 1536 pixels. I can easily make a very nice quality print of 7" x 5" (roughly 300 DPI). Even a 10" x 8" (roughly 200 DPI) will look fine when printed on most consumer printers. Too many people are sucked in by the MP rating and DPI values that are given for cameras these days.

SarahP

Reaction score
LOVE how the new update lets me combine fx!

I can get very creative now with my snaps - thanks devs as always for such a great app :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

mootsucks

Reaction score
Kind of agree on the restrictions of low light - no camera app is going to do that for you - its a hardware issue.

But why would you guys refund a camera app that gives you all these features (taken from Androidslide website) :

Camera ZOOM FX | androidslide

bullet.gif
40 photo fx! (pencil, fisheye, filmreel, etc.)
bullet.gif
circular zoom wheel (6x zoom)
bullet.gif
upscale zoomed images
bullet.gif
tap screen to snap shot
bullet.gif
timer + sound effect
bullet.gif
auto focus on / off
bullet.gif
burst mode up to 16 shots
bullet.gif
photo booth = quad camera!
bullet.gif
stable shot including stability meter
bullet.gif
sound activate
bullet.gif
props, borders and famous ‘buddies’ in your pictures
bullet.gif
customizable grid overlays
bullet.gif
whitebalance
bullet.gif
nightshot
bullet.gif
geotag
bullet.gif
customize every hardware button
bullet.gif
send, share
bullet.gif
1-click upload facebook, twitter, myspace
bullet.gif
built for Donut
bullet.gif
silent mode
bullet.gif
antibanding (for TV / computer monitors)
bullet.gif
auto save option
bullet.gif
digi composites

Did you develope / are selling this application?
Unless I'm missing someting, I have never seen somebody recommend an application and then paste a list of features essentially begging people not to return it.

loopyloops

Reaction score
Its probably just a difference in the % jpeg compression you are saving at. My Camera Zoom is set at 85% but this is adjustable up to 100%. If you turn this up you get less lossy jpegs but larger file sizes.
On stock camera, you have option of fine, super fine, etc which must correspond to different % jpeg quality's hence different file sizes you saw.

Is jpeg quality the same as picture quality?

SarahP

Reaction score
jpeg quality is to do with the compression in the file saved. don't know if picture quality is another setting perhaps?

Reaction score
what?

jpeg is the file extension for the pictures...how does jpeg quality not directly correspond with picture quality?

SarahP

Reaction score
100% would give you the highest picture quality but the biggest filesize.
Its a tradeoff - so you can play around to see what works best for you - I am generally happy with 85%.

chad_h

Reaction score
sounds like it could be interesting...does anyone know if this works on droid x?

SarahP

Reaction score
i would guess so - you could always check with the devs first

chad_h

Reaction score
thanks for the tip - checked it out after speaking to devs.

seems to work great for droidx - very nice app - burst mode is quite invaluable for me as my droid only takes 1 good in every 5 pictures!

chad_h

Reaction score
does anyone know how to use the voice activation on this? i tried but couldn't figure it out?