Camera issues...am I doing something wrong?

monkeymynd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my Droid a few days ago. I'm noticing a problem with the camera. When I am using it in landscape mode, the quick search keeps popping up. Also, I sometimes get the voice search box as well. Anyone else having the same problem? It makes using the camera really difficult and I have to switch to portrait mode.

I tried searching the net, but having been able to find anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
You sure your finger isn't lying over the edge and hitting the Search button at the top right (when the phone is in landscape mode)? Long-pressing that button brings up voice search also. The button is very sensitive.

OP
M

monkeymynd

Reaction score
does it work in any of the other modes?

What do you mean by "modes"? Maybe I'm using the wrong wording. When I have it upright, the camera works fine and doesn't have other stuff popping up over it. When I hold it sideways, with the shutter button at the top, right of the phone, I often get the search popping up over top of the camera. Then, either the voice search or the keyboard will pop up as well. Very annoying, especially when you're trying to take a pic of something that might not be there in the time it takes to clear the search stuff off the screen.

OP
M

monkeymynd

Reaction score
Uhh, ya' know what...I just answered my own question. When I replied to your question, I realized that in landscape mode, with the shutter button at the top, right, the search button is directly under it. So, I guess I'm resting my finger on the frame of the phone and hitting the button. I also realize that you can hold down the search button to get right to the voice search.

Thanks for triggering my answer :)

OP
M

monkeymynd

Reaction score
does it work in any of the other modes?

What do you mean by "modes"? Maybe I'm using the wrong wording. When I have it upright, the camera works fine and doesn't have other stuff popping up over it. When I hold it sideways, with the shutter button at the top, right of the phone, I often get the search popping up over top of the camera. Then, either the voice search or the keyboard will pop up as well. Very annoying, especially when you're trying to take a pic of something that might not be there in the time it takes to clear the search stuff off the screen.

Yup...that's exactly what I was doing. See my post above...sorry, I didn't see your post before I posted. Much thanks.

I gotta say, that is kind of a pain though cause it's a natural place to put your finger. Guess I'm going to have to train myself not to do that.

meester

Reaction score
Camera still needs lot of work

I curse this camera function regularly. Re; the button misclicks, tough to avoid. How about a camera function button that is responsive and then prioritizes the camera function once activated and stays on camera, only take incoming calls and texts.
(I had a Samsung Flipshot, LOVE that camera function. Have Canon SD850 also. What is the mystery Motorola? Please get their help.
I click and maybe it works, maybe, yes , no, did it, no, oops search, back to camera click click, come on,:mad:, hold it down, aw cripies, hold Home Page for few seconds, select camera as one of last 6 apps, sigh, shot still available? Yes? "I'll take it soon. Hold it again", My camera? Oh it's a Droid, by Motorola through Verizon. Recommend it? Sigh . "I'd like to" but I get so annoyed at times. Not to mention the black out after clicking, and then the delay in review "Did I get it" . . . sheesh.
HOW about a double tap option for search and home page? Maybe that would give the camera madness a hurdle that will take some of the nuisance away.
I use my camera a lot. My Flipshot was so fast and easy. This is a nightmare at times.
I would love to have a good smooth function camera phone (again)

snowman

Reaction score
thats an easy mistake , I keep putting my finger on the lens?-dah
when I rotate

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hit the search button on accident all the time lol oh well, nothing a tap of the back button won't fix :)

meester

Reaction score
another thing (camera)

The camera flash - Look how many steps it takes to change the flash setting. There is real estate available on the screen while taking a picture that could be used for additional buttons -programmable buttons would be nice. I don't trust the flash quality so I leave it off. I think my flipshot actually respnded with 'less flash' in close-up modes. I have used Mototorch to turn on the LED flashlight and that works okay. hat avoids flashy shots while adding a few lumens to the shot. It also works with video.
I think one of the camera apps PRO Zoom Camera 5x allows for 8 programmable hard buttons. I'll have to try it. I expect they could be more responsive to suggestions than Motorola too.

meester

Reaction score
liking that avatar with the gun to the droid.

I wonder if the programmable buttons in Pro Zoom Camera could be set to Null Zip Nada Dead Nothing for the SEARCH button. I don't think I'll really feel like I'm taking a picture anymore if my Droid doesn't send me on "helpful" wild goose chases at the same time.
How cool would it be if that button could be locked to stay on camera until double tapped?