Landscape Mode issue

southbend44

Reaction score
I used to be able to switch to landscape mode when in the texting application (both default app and Handcent) and a virtual keyboard was displayed in that landscape mode. Now I seem to only have the option of the slide out keyboard or the portrait mode virtual keyboard. Anyone else having these issues. I always used the landscape virtual keyboard.......is there a way to get it back?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
try power cycling your device... you should still have this function!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do not believe you are having an issue;

If you turned it to landscape and the VKB isn't there (and some of us believe it is not by default) your text field should be highlighted, and if you already did some texting in it in portrait, then that text will be there as well, double tap that highlight and the VKB should then appear.

I noticed this behavior earlier, but others saw the same thing. We believe when you turn it from portrait to landscape the OS assumes you are going to use the slide out, so the VKB is not on screen at that point, but you can bring it up.

Try it and please report back.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I do not believe you are having an issue;

If you turned it to landscape and the VKB isn't there (and some of us believe it is not by default) your text field should be highlighted, and if you already did some texting in it in portrait, then that text will be there as well, double tap that highlight and the VKB should then appear.

I noticed this behavior earlier, but others saw the same thing. We believe when you turn it from portrait to landscape the OS assumes you are going to use the slide out, so the VKB is not on screen at that point, but you can bring it up.

Try it and please report back.

The same thing holds true on the G1, so it is how Android handles the change from portrait to landscape. It takes focus away from the text field.

OP
S

southbend44

Reaction score
I used to be able to touch in the text field while in the landscape mode and the VKB would pop up. Now it only goes to landscape mode with the keyboard out....and the only VBK is in portrait mode. I have pulled the battery and re-booted and the function still doesnt work. This issue has me confused.........

OP
S

southbend44

Reaction score
AAAAHHHHH, I finally found it......I some how fat finger adjusted the auto-rotate function in the setting portion of the application..........I hate it when I adjust something unintentionally !!!

G_Neo

Reaction score
Wow. I have been having this same issue for a few days. After reading this thread I dug a little and noticed that I did the exact same thing (fat fingered the Orientation setting under 'Sound and Display' in the settings). Easy fix folks, its an easy fix. lol!

stateofdesign

Reaction score
I've checked the orientation setting, and it is clicked.

When I'm in Gmail, the screen will flip from portrait to landscape. But when I'm in the home screen, flipping the phone will not re-orientate automatically.

It ONLY happens when I open the physical keyboard.

Any guess why?

Thanks.