Recommend alternate CAMERA and CAMCORDER apps?

ravenhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone have any alternate camera and camcorder apps that they would recommend? I searched the market but am having very little luck.

Essentially, here is what I am looking for:

Camera:
1) Something that lets me take pictures in portrait mode, instead of everything being in landscape mode and then me having to edit the pictures into portraits later (does that make sense?).
2) Better quality low-light pictures. The daytime pics with my pro are gorgeous, but low light, like in a restaurant, are really REALLY grainy.
3) Ideally, but not necessary, switch to camcorder right from the camera, instead of having to open up a separate app.

Camcorder:
1) Be able to turn the LED on and off from the camcorder program.
2) Be able to film in portrait, instead of having to film in landscape.
3) Ideally, but not necessary, switch to camera right from the camcorder, instead of having to open up a separate app.

Thanks.

debracey

Reaction score
Most of what you want is already in the default app:

Camera:

1. Not possible. This is a hardware / aspect ratio problem prevalent in virtually all android phones (including the "official" Google android phone, the Nexus One.) There is some debate in developer circles as to if this is a bug with android or if it really is a hardware issue. The apps I've seen that allow portrait mode produce pictures that don't exactly match what was on the screen.

2. Not much you can do there - thats a problem with the camera hardware itself, you can adjust the flash mode though.

3. You can do this in the native app by clicking anywhere on the screen -- click the "Switch To" option on the menu that shows up

---

Camcorder:

1. This one is there as well. Click anywhere on the screen and click the light option.

2. That's the aspect ratio bug again.

3. Same deal as #3 (from above)

spydergirl

Reaction score
I'm with you on hating the camera quality on this thing. I MISS MY BLACKBERRY CAMERA!! I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and wait for my next upgrade (IN 2 YRS !!!) to hope that they come out with an improved camera for the DPro. The camera on this thing SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS !!! My BBerry Tour pictures were so amazing that people everywhere were amazed! *sigh* I get so jealous over my husband's DX because his MP is higher than mine and his pics and videos are TOTALLY AWESOME !!! :(

OP
R

ravenhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Disappointing replies, but appreciated nonetheless. I still feel like a lot of this is software-related, and not the hardware, and should be fixable, if only someone with the appropriate skills had the time to create an app for it.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
I've been a bit disappointed with the photo quality, but I knew it might be that way before I gave my Incredible to my wife. The Inc can take portrait and landscape pics, and the control icons rotate if you rotate the phone. So it's possible, maybe it will be in a future update? It wasn't on the Inc until it got 2.2.