Call/Email notifications set up like the Blackberry

fafaforza

Reaction score
Reposting this from the main forum. I'm coming off a Blackberry Pearl, and am not liking the call and email notifications on the Droid.

I want the Droid to vibrate 3 times then start ringing for phone calls. And for Gmail push email and SMS, I want it to vibrate 3 times, then play a notification sound 3 times, followed by leaving the little led light red.

Is there an app that can let me set it up like that? I had Gmail Notifications (I think, already uninstalled it) and it wasn't fully configurable. And searching brings up a lot of unrelated stuff.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Their is no place to set the amount of vibrations and when to vibrate function. Their are apps out there that allow you to manipulate the vibrations but that's it.

OP
F

fafaforza

Reaction score
So is there a recommendation for an app with the most configurability for ring behavior? Maybe something will work for me.

I already tossed the Droid box so don't think I could replace the droid with a BB Tour (the other choice offered by my employer).

mrnelson86

Reaction score
Missed Call I think can do some of that, been a month or so since I uninstalled it because I didn't use the features it had

jbsangel

Reaction score
Take a look here..

ringer | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games

And the Droid beats any BB hands down....
I always find it funny when someone, especially a moderator, posts a "search result" that doesn't even address the OPs question. I understand the need to politely tell people to search first, and I'm cool with that. But that post was pretty much useless, LOL.

To the OP, the only app I have seen to do this is an app called Tasker. It allows lots of customization and I know it can do what you want for the ringer, but not sure about email. The problem is it is still in beta, is not available on the market, and is a whole different experience where the user basically has to have an idea how to "code" what they want to happen on a given system event. The dev offers the app for beta test for brief periods and then closes it.

Tasker for Android

I'm not saying there is no app for what you want, but I haven't seen it. I think you will find it hard to find one app that does all you want.

Last edited:
OP
F

fafaforza

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't the only forum I've been a member of, so see the "search first" replies to questions. Believe me, I tried, but most of the results I get are about how much better the Droid is than the BlackBerry :p

I think I'll just try a bunch of ringer type apps, and what was suggested here, and see what works. I might even just adjust to the way the Droid works.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do agree that the Droid overall is an improvement over the Blackberry but there are certainly areas where the BB does well out of the box. Centralized notification management and Exchange integration (with BES) are a couple of those areas IMO.

From an IT perspective, BB's are ideal since they also include centralized management (again, with BES) and the limitations of the BB are actually a plus from a support standpoint. No need to worry about your users tinkering with their devices, especially if they're locked down by IT policy. I can't imagine our company handing out Droids without increasing staff to support them.

Again, "better" is a subjective matter, dependent on your needs/wants.