Calibrating the compass

J

Jess723

Has anyone been able to calibrate a compass on their phone I have tried it has yet to turn green only red

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easiest way is to swing your phone in large figure 8s around and over you. The compass in your phone is based off GPS, it's not magnetic. It should turn green after you start moving.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Once your compass has turned red, there's no way to calibrate it, as far as I'm aware. The only thing I've managed to do is do a factory data wipe and then calibrate it again. I haven't tried the figure 8 method. I set it on a counter, at least 5 feet away from all other electronics, and spin it 3 times in each direction, on all 3 axes. Works great. Also, make sure you calibrate it with the keyboard closed AND open.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Easiest way is to swing your phone in large figure 8s around and over you. The compass in your phone is based off GPS, it's not magnetic. It should turn green after you start moving.

Actually, if the D2 uses the same setup as the D1; it IS magnetic. The Moto Droids contain a magnetometer. That is why those "metal detector" apps are possible. Because it can in fact detect ferrous metals.

Once your compass has turned red, there's no way to calibrate it, as far as I'm aware. The only thing I've managed to do is do a factory data wipe and then calibrate it again. I haven't tried the figure 8 method. I set it on a counter, at least 5 feet away from all other electronics, and spin it 3 times in each direction, on all 3 axes. Works great. Also, make sure you calibrate it with the keyboard closed AND open.

The figure 8 method is the most common method recommended by apps that use the magnetometer. So I would assume that is the proper way to calibrate it. It works on my D1, so it should work on the D2 as well.

Reaction score

Actually, if the D2 uses the same setup as the D1; it IS magnetic. The Moto Droids contain a magnetometer. That is why those "metal detector" apps are possible. Because it can in fact detect ferrous metals.

The figure 8 method is the most common method recommended by apps that use the magnetometer. So I would assume that is the proper way to calibrate it. It works on my D1, so it should work on the D2 as well.

A. I agree, it IS a magnetic compass.

B. The recommended method in the calibration screen is to lay the phone on a flat surface and spin it in both directions in all three axes; So I would assume THAT is the proper way to calibrate it. I trust the guys who wrote the compass calibration app more than I trust the 3rd party devs, at least in this instance.

OP
J

Jess723

Ok I finally got it to calibrate with slide keyboard closed now im trying it with it open the way you told me but this time doesn't seem to be working. Do I do it the same way on a flat surface

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App