Calendar synchronization issues

tedmeister

Reaction score
OK, I've RTFF and looked everywhere, and spend hours on the phone with Verizon tech support, to no avail. The built-in Calendar application on my Droid X locks up when attempting to synchronize to my Google calendar.

This occurred for the first time on May 6, and I tried many of the solutions suggested on this forum in various threads, and spent oodles of time on the phone with Verizon. Their final solution was to factory reset the phone, which I did not want to do until I had some free time to get it all configured again. When I finally sat down four days later to do it, I found that the synch to my Google calendar had started working again all by itself mysteriously. I checked it several times, adding appointments on Google calendar, and checking that they showed up on the phone in minutes, and adding appointments on the phone and verifying that they showed up in Google some minutes later as well. It worked fine after that until last week...

I was overseas for a week, and had the phone either powered off or in airplane mode for that entire time, and upon my return a few days ago, have found that this synch problem is back, and the phone will not synch the calendar anymore.

In the Settings-Accounts->Google account, the contacts and Gmail synch work just fine. If I turn synch off, then on again for either of them, the little circular arrows spin for a little bit, then they are done. But on Calendar, it spins for about 5 seconds, then stops, with the synch icon still showing, and it never goes away. When this synch is stuck like this, I cannot add a new appointment on the phone either - it disappears after I add it.

This is such a critical item to be working - without calendar, then I might as well have a dumb voice-only cell phone instead of a smartphone. I have spoken to friends, and they have related anecdotes to me about colleagues also experiencing calendar synchronization issues on the Droid X on the Verizon network, but I can't find any more information in this forums here or on the web in general about such a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions? I am running Android 2.2.1, I don't know when Verizon has scheduled the update for the Droid X phones (or even if they plan to upgrade the OS).

My original post about this problem 3 weeks ago was never answered: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-faq/91396-cannot-sync-google-calendar-droid-x-3.html , and no response to this question either: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ic-droid-google-only-manual-google-droid.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
T

tedmeister

Reaction score
Better, but still odd

OK, today I installed the 2.3 update that Verizon pushed out to the DX handsets, and retested the sync problem. Interestingly, now the events from a few days ago came to the phone fine, and I was able to create an event on the phone and it went up to the gmail calendar just fine. But - no option anywhere for auto vs. manual sync, or frequency of auto sync that I can find (was it changed in Gingerbread?), and when I do a 'sync now' from the Accounts settings, the little sync icon (circle with curved arrows inside going round and round) for the Calendar stops after some seconds, and then appears with a slash through it. That never goes away. Note that I found that forcing sync to the email and contacts the sync icon with the slash first appears, then the slash disappears after a few seconds and the arrows spin, then the icon goes way, signifying completion I guess. I have no idea what the hung icon with the slash through it for Calendar means, or what the problem might be.

So it is working better than it was, but I have no idea if there is still something broken. Verizon is clueless (no surprise there). Any information would be most welcome...