Buying a friend's upgrade.

cdogg777

Reaction score
Here is my plan, tell me if this will work. My friend has an upgrade he won't use, I asked if I could buy it for $100. He said fine. I informed him he will have to agree to another 2yr contract, he is ok. So I'd rather save some money and buy from Amazon or another retailer. So my plan is this. I will buy the phone, under his account, on one of these websites. It will not activate automatically, so I will just have it delivered to my house. He should be able to continue to use his old phone with no interruptions right? Will I have any difficulty activating this phone for my phone #? Will I need to call verizon to do so? Is there any "catch" I am missing?

Bratster2

Reaction score
I think the phone needs to be activated on his line first then switched.

Also amazon etc usually have something in the fine print saying it needs to be active on that line for x amount of time or they charge you full price.

YMMV
I don't know what I'm talking about
Etc etc.

OP
C

cdogg777

Reaction score
I think the phone needs to be activated on his line first then switched.

Also amazon etc usually have something in the fine print saying it needs to be active on that line for x amount of time or they charge you full price.

YMMV
I don't know what I'm talking about
Etc etc.
This would be a "catch" that I am afraid of. You may be right. I know Amazon says you cannot downgrade your 'package' or you are charged full price. But you can upgrade. I would imagine switching lines would also void the deal.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Best Buy has allowed activation, then switching phones in the past. Unknown what the current policy would be. Friend would likely need be present to activate the new phone. Then switch his account back to current device.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Just be ur friend get the phone, activate it on his account and then he can just reactivate his old phone and give u new phone. You will be able to activate it on ur account at this point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just be ur friend get the phone, activate it on his account and then he can just reactivate his old phone and give u new phone. You will be able to activate it on ur account at this point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what phone you want but, Costco should be on your short list of places to buy.
Good prices and they don't care if you move the phone.

S

SFGate

Want to hear if this switcheroo works. Sounds like something a lot of people would be willing to try.

OP
C

cdogg777

Reaction score
Want to hear if this switcheroo works. Sounds like something a lot of people would be willing to try.
I'm going tomorrow. But truth is this is only useful if a friend is doing you a favor(or you don't tell the person how to get more money). Because if someone is smart. They will just go upgrade their phone with a good deal like this. Then turn around and sell that phone. "Never used HTC One", they are going for $300-500 on ebay right now. And you can sell to gazelle for $248 immediately no hassle. So... Dunno why more people don't do that. They probably do.

EDIT: The HTC One deal ended this morning. I went there with a firiend(after verying with verizon and bestbuy that what we wanted to do was possible). They don't have it anymore. They have an S3 for $50, but that's not as good of a deal. So I will wait for something to come along.

Last edited:

orangepeel

Reaction score
This would be a "catch" that I am afraid of. You may be right. I know Amazon says you cannot downgrade your 'package' or you are charged full price. But you can upgrade. I would imagine switching lines would also void the deal.

I can't vouch for Amazon's rules,but I know for a fact you can switch the line as fast as you like.I've done it several times because I have kids and use their upgrades.:)

When I get home I switch it online,and I have just swapped the sim cards if they're the same size and called it good...never any problems ,well other than my kids using too much data.:)

I'm one of "those guys" that has worked the system.I've upgraded lines and returned the phone,and returned again and again on multiple lines,so I can promise you I know you'll be fine doing a swap.

I got in pretty good with a few of the younger more "cool" workers at Best Buy (yes I'm older)and did a bunch returns,which leads to a lot of of sim card swaps,and switching lines.. Unless you have a friend that works in one,don't screw with the corporate Verizon stores. They know what they're doing for the most part,but they are corporate robots that will fall on the sword for Big Red.

Last edited:
OP
C

cdogg777

Reaction score
Here's a reply I finally got from amazon:

If the line of service is canceled or disconnected before 181 consecutive days, you'll be subject to additional charges of up to $200 or $400 plus applicable taxes. If you are activating the phone on the line it was intended for first, then moving the phone after a couple of days you will not get charged the equipment discount fee. As long as the lines that you ordered through Amazon or upgraded through Amazon stay active, there won't be any penalties.

Sounds like it's fine.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon proper doesn't care. Some third parties do. Costco does not care. It's worth about $300 plus the cost of the phone. If it's sold at Costco, that is a good bet. Verizon is also running their program to insure any phone on you account new or used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4