Can you buy a upgrade phone from the verizon store and not actually activate it?

Reaction score
Can you buy a upgrade phone from the verizon store and not actually activate it? I have another dumb phone line on my account with a upgrade available and I wanna go grab the note 2 and not activate it. Gonna swap my sim card in so I don't lose unlimited data

bionic207

Reaction score
I don't think so. Pretty sure they make you activate it. Maybe if you find some one chill and will help you out.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you go into the store, they will want to upgrade that dumb phone line to the data plan line, then you can get that phone for the price, then, on your own, you should be able to swap phones, reactivate the dumb phone on that line to get rid of the data package, and do what you want with the older smart phone. The dumb phone line though will be extended for another 2 years however. This should work if I'm not mistaken, but in order to get the upgrade price, you HAVE to activate that phone on a line regardless. Otherwise you have to buy the phone outright.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, like macpro said, you can activate the new phone on the dummy line. You will have to choose a data package for the dummy line... but once it is activated, you can take the new phone off that line, put the old dummy phone back on that line, cancel the data package on that dummy line and do whatever you want with the new phone...including activate it on your unlimited line and you will not lose your unlimited data.

The important thing, to not lose your unlimited data, is to make sure you activate the new phone on the dummy line first and it will update that line's contract. If you activate it on your unlimited line first then you would be forced to choose a tiered data package.

TiggerGrrr

Reaction score
I don't get anything that just got said. Seems like if you got a dummy line you just pay for the difference between that and more data on the new plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid Forums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To get the upgrade price for the phone you have to extend your lines contract. Otherwise you have to pay retail for the phone which is 600$ or more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

TiggerGrrr

Reaction score
Yeah it's just me and my girl and we only have 2 lines of Verizon.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
TiggerGrrr said:
I don't get anything that just got said. Seems like if you got a dummy line you just pay for the difference between that and more data on the new plan.

You said you had a dummy line (an extra line that has a regular phone on it with no data package, probably costs 9.99 a month). If that is the case, then you can get a new subsidized phone on that dummy line, activate it on that dummy line (you will have to choose a data package).

Once that is all done, you can put the regular phone back on that “dummy" line and cancel the data package (so you won't have a $30 monthly charge. The new subsidized phone can now be put on your unlimited line.

Jamo319

Reaction score
This is what I was planning on doing to get my wife a new phone w/o losing her unlimited data (esp. since I blew it already and gave up mine). I just want to make sure I can drop the data from my dumb phone at any time. It won't be part 2 yr agreement that I have to keep will it?

TiggerGrrr

Reaction score
I'm on dual phone shared unlimited plan at the moment. Unlimited phone text and data.

So I need to get a third line .a dummy line. cancel the data package and then switch phones?

If I'm going to pay 9.99 for dummy line for 1 year, Can't I just spend that 120 dollars on more data?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is what I was planning on doing to get my wife a new phone w/o losing her unlimited data (esp. since I blew it already and gave up mine). I just want to make sure I can drop the data from my dumb phone at any time. It won't be part 2 yr agreement that I have to keep will it?

Yes, unless anything has changed recently, you can drop the data package at any time. If it were me, I would doubly make sure & simply ask if you can drop the data package when you put the dummy phone back on.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums