Broken touchscreen on D1

blix

Reaction score
My touchscreen just stopped responding yesterday. No impact or any other event to seem to trigger this, I was talking on the phone then put it down after the convo, then a few seconds later I tried to unlock it and it wouldn't respond to any touch at all. And since I have no idea how to unlock the phone using the physical keyboard I can't get to anything.

I rooted it months ago only to do tethering, but I haven't installed any custom ROMs or anything yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to do anything to it if I end up sending it it to Verizon?

Thanks!

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did u do a battery pull and turn it back on? If it's still not working after that then there's not much to do but contact verizon or get a new phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to mention that I have done several reboots, both by just pulling the battery and by shutting it down (hold power button then use the Dpad to navigate the menu). Neither have worked. Will they give me any crap since the phone is rooted?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Probably but u could just sbf it u wouldn't need the touch screen for that just boot into ur boot loader (hold power and up on the d pad) and then get into rsd lite with ur computer and all and just sbf it that will take u completely back to stock and unroot ur phone

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
sbf? could you break that down for me?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea when i get out of class and back to my dorm i'll give u a quick run through but i'm sure if u do a quick google search u'll find the d1 sbf file u then can flash that through rsd lite while in ur phones boot loader and that will basically format ur entire phone and then install the android os completely stock unrooted back to the point where u first took ur phone out of the box

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Here is a link to the newest sbf released (FRG83D)
http://bit.ly/gMigiv

You can also get other versions here
Peter Alfonso

As for a guide to how to flash them here's my simple one you may want to just look on google for a better written one i'm just going to do it from memory without looking ha

Here is a guide i wrote a long while back on doing it, its a bit dated but the steps are the same
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/55541-unbrick-pretty-much-anything.html

First you want to install rsd lite
here are some links to that i just did a quick search you may want a different version you can just google it
RSDLite - download here

Anyway connect your phone to USB and turn it off then turn it back on, while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
Run RSD Lite as Administrator
Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to your sbf file
Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
Once your phone is done being flashed it will reboot and you will be back at stock no root.
Again this is just a guide i did by memory ha it should be pretty accurate but i would still compare against something else if you have any questions feel free to ask

***Make sure you have some battery and make sure not to unplug while flashing in rsd lite***

Gingervitis526

Reaction score
Alright I have a similar issue but a few things different. My touch screen still works but the screen is black. (I can boot it up, guess where to swipe to unlock it, and it still responds with haptic feedback) I am not rooted.
My question is if there is an easy way to return it back to stock(basically remove all of my personal data so I can send it in to Asurion) without being able to see what I am doing on the phone. I tried just doing a factory reset but its hard not being able to see what I am selecting on the screen. Any help at all would be appreciated.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Flash an sbf as well lol that's mostly done from the computer and will wipe everything and take u back to completely stock no data will survive

Gingervitis526

Reaction score
Man I couldnt even get it into boot loader without being able to see it. I'm just going to send it in. I dont think I have much of any personal info on the phone anyways.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why do u need to be able to see to get to the bootloader? U just battery pull to get the phone off since it's hard to see power down then hold up on the dpad and the power button for say 10 seconds and then u'll be certain ur there

OP
B

blix

Reaction score
I have SPrecovery installed, and I am currently doing a backup. What all does this backup? Will this backup everything in the internal memory?

Gingervitis526

Reaction score
Why do u need to be able to see to get to the bootloader? U just battery pull to get the phone off since it's hard to see power down then hold up on the dpad and the power button for say 10 seconds and then u'll be certain ur there

Ahh ok, I just dont know what I'm doing then lol. I thought to get there you had to hold power + X then select it. Time for me to do more research. :redface:

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Holding x and the power button takes u to recovery the boot loader is completely different u get there by holding up on the dpad and holding power