Broadband Deployment on Airplanes to Become Common Very Soon

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,730
    [​IMG]

This story isn't exactly Android or Verizon related. In fact, it's not even cell-phone related, but we still thought it was pretty interesting news to share with you guys, especially for any of our members who travel by airplane in the U.S. frequently. Apparently, the FCC just formalized a set of rules that would help airlines offer broadband internet services easily on flights. While WiFi on some airlines is already a reality, so far, there has not been a wide adoption, and these new rules from the FCC will facilitate a common deployment. Here's a quote with the details,

I wonder how this will play out with the typical airline rule of not using your mobile devices during take-off...

Thanks for the tip, Str8Aro!

Source: RadioWorld

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    It's a bigger rip-of than hotel wifi. Usually $10-$15 PER flight...although I think you can get a monthly pass for like $30. Personally I think a few hours a week/month not connected is probably a good thing.

I did once watch a March Madness game on a flight. That was pretty cool, and well worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

deployment airplaines