The White House Responds to Cell Phone Unlocking Petition with Complete Agreement!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

We have some incredible news to share with you guys this afternoon! Apparently, The White House has responded to the 114k folks who signed a petition to legalize cellphone unlocking, and they agree unequivocally that it needs to happen! Here's a quote with the full details of their response, followed by a source link to the original,

This part is especially appreciated, and sums up the best reasons for moving forward with this ===> "It's common sense, crucial for protecting consumer choice, and important for ensuring we continue to have the vibrant, competitive wireless market that delivers innovative products and solid service to meet consumers' needs."

Thanks a ton for tip, Redsnk95!

Source: US Petitions.Whitehouse.gov
    4 people like this.
  2. rza49311

rza49311 New Member

Suite.
  3. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Yet, absolutely nothing has actually changed! It's still illegal to unlock your phone without permission. They agree with us yet the Librarian has not reversed his/her decision. It's still up to the Librarian unless the relevant law is repealed/amended.

Or did I miss something?
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't hold your breath - this administration is long on talk and short on action.
    3 people like this.
  5. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

It's a step in the right direction. As I wrote previously, the FCC will be investigating it, and now that the White House has publicly agreed with the perspective, there will obviously be a bigger push behind it. The statement was just made this afternoon, so we can't expect instantaneous results. Now it's time to move forward with the movement!
    3 people like this.
  6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

you hit the nail on the head. :byepalm:
    1 person likes this.
  7. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

-shock-

After 4+ years this admin and I finally agree on something!!

-SELF EDITED POLITICAL RANT-
    2 people like this.
  8. Zecpull

Zecpull New Member

I also think if you pay Full price for a Smart phone.. you should be allowed to delete all the Bloatware, I am required to pay full price now. or lose my unlimited Data plan.. ( which I am not giving up ) So if they are not Subsidizing my phone.. I dont want all their Crap.
    5 people like this.
  9. kodiak799

I like the direction, but i can't see myself leaving VZW any time soon.

I also think we get hosed on carrier subsidies propping up the retail prices of phones. So this news is kind of anti-climatic in the sense of "woohoo, I can go spend $700 on a phone I can take to any carrier".

And as long as carriers are locking people in because retail prices are too high for most to buy without a contract subsidy, then there won't be much benefit accruing to the consumer as far as increase competition bringing down service plan costs.
  10. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

i'd love to meet the librarian and unlock the phone right on his eyes. that's what i think about him and his laws.

shouldn't that old fart be retired right now? he's freakin older then gandalf!
  11. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Does anyone know offhand if it is stated in the contract that a subsidized phone must stay connected to them until the contract is fulfilled?

Because I don't see a difference between subsidized purchases and full price purchases as far as ownership of the device goes. The subsidy/discount is an enticemnet to get you to choose that service provider over another and in return they get you to sign a contract and get their money for the phone from you that way. As long as you are fulfilling your part on the contract by paying your bill the device should be yours to do with as you will. However, if you fail to uphold your agreement, I can see where they could hold you responsible for the cost of device as part of the damages for breach of contract because you haven't fully paid for it yet. So, as long as I'm still making payments on the contract I should be able to unlock a phone and connect to another service provider if I want to pay them too.
  12. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

+++±++++++++++++++++++1
  13. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

You're right he hasn't done anything but talk in office...

What the heck has Obama done so far?
  14. Jeyman

Jeyman Member

They can do as they please with a contract, I do not know what most contracts say(as I have not had one in years) but old ones had no such clause in them where you must keep said phone on said WISP.

You can, however bet there will be a change if something was to come of this white house response. As I said before anything they wish to put into that contract can be added.

Next; to the person who said phones are to high in price. I would side with you on high end devices, geek heads such as ourselves get hit hard. Still we need to look at the big picture, many people get low to mid range phones. Phones like this only run up-words of 250. To lock yourself into a two year agreement is silly for such a cheap price. People just see "free" or "only $50" and flock to it. Yet at the same rate they are now looking at over $2000 in fees for two years. We really only have ourselves to blame for the way the system is to some extent. Nothing keeps us bound we choose this.

I myself like the freedom to move around, even if I have not used it yet. Currently I am working off a old Verizon plan I have had for nearly 10 years now. But if that somehow went away the next month I would be part of T-mobiles $30 plan with one of my already unlocked phones sitting in my drawer.
  15. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

No no...you are certainly correct. He's done plenty. Let's see if he actually does anything about the phone unlocking issue, however, besides simply flap his yap.
  16. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

This is bad news guys.

-If the White House agrees then Congress is going to disagree.

-Congress passes the laws.

-Congress passes harsher laws saying the administration is trying to "destroy jobs."

-President vetoes.

-We're back where we started.

-Or Congress passes the law inserted into some other law package that the President cannot refuse, military funding or something like that.

-We're worse than where we started.
  17. kodiak799

Locked-in contracts are really overrated IMO. The deals and prices don't move enough or separate enough to go jumping willy-nilly. The vast majority of people just don't do this, not with cell providers, not with cable, banks, etc...

I was with Sprint for a number of years until I got fed-up with dropped calls. Been with VZW now for over 10 years and have no intention of switching. Service still matters to me, and I travel so I really don't see an alternative.

Being locked-in for 1-2 years is really not a big deal. The vast majority of people are perfectly happy with their service and simply go in for new subsidized phone every two years (many not even that often). Just look at turn - VZW has been <2% and AT&T and Sprint 2-3x that, despite the fact that with 2-yr contracts as many as 50% of their customer could jump every year.

This is all a nice free market thing and will benefit some people. But there just aren't very many people who are going to jump mid-contract AND not sign a new one to get a subsidized phone. Maybe phones are getting good enough now that it will change, which isn't to say perhaps 1-2M people take advantage (just like 1% of the market).

Bottom line is I just don't see this opening up some magical box of consumer goodness.
Search tags for this page

obama carriers unlock dgstorm