Bootloader Discussion at VerizonWireless.com

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
A bootloader unlocking software provided by Moto/Verizon would solve all woes. Verizon knows you voided your warranty (because they'll have your MEID) and all software defects would be your own fault.

This would be a win/win for both sides imo.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

bullswife98

Reaction score
I just don't get it though...there are devices with unlocked bootloaders on their network. Why lock down Motorolas only/

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

It didn't start out that way in the beginning, (don't forget the one that started it all,OG Droid) no locked bootloader. Then I suppose Verizon got scared that they we're losing out and realized they weren't making that mistake again. Since then all the device's became locked down tight.

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
And yet it is shocking how many people do not know when they dive in. Never made sense to me.

I read seemingly forever and watched youtube vids before jumping in and still hit snags. It does take a while to be ready!

bullswife98

Reaction score
A bootloader unlocking software provided by Moto/Verizon would solve all woes. Verizon knows you voided your warranty (because they'll have your MEID) and all software defects would be your own fault.

This would be a win/win for both sides imo.

Its not entirely Motorola's fault for the locked bootloader,its Verizon. They placed the demands and pressure on Motorola to lock it hence the petition as posted above. At release the Razr that is going to other countries will have the unlocked version of the razr,but here in the states... we will be stuck with the locked bootloader version thanks to Verizon.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not entirely Motorola's fault for the locked bootloader,its Verizon. They placed the demands and pressure on Motorola to lock it hence the petition as posted above. At release the Razr that is going to other countries will have the unlocked version of the razr,but here on the states... we will be stuck with the locked bootloader version.

Correct. From what I understand, Moto was more than willing to ship without an encrypted bootloader, but Verizon wasn't for that (that's what Moto said at least). Hopefully, Verizon won't be able to charge for tethering services anymore (I seem to remember hearing something about a potential lawsuit, but perhaps I'm mistaken). If that were to happen, Verizon would have no use for locking the bootloader imo. That seems to be the only reason they do so currently.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Exactly, Verizon is claiming "Its locking the devices for better network management. " Imo,more like spying so we can see if your tethering w/o a paid plan.

Gblake13

Reaction score
Verizon has been sending me weird messages that look like: a00078-143 .-;100945qrye zx3232;/1er1 as1009. Not sure it has anything to do with the spying thing u brought up but I did notice they didn't start till I got two non working phones exchanged.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just had a funny thought, just imagine how many people would jump on the rooting bandwagon if somehow this issue (or something similar) made it to national news and they said and demonstrated even a few of the awesome perks of rooting...Verizon would really have to take a look at unlocking the bootloaders.
I'm just thinking about how people with "much better" phones are amazed my old Droid blows them out of the water with performance AND customization. Already had like 5 acquaintances and like 10 friends all ask me how to root or even if I could root their phone for them lol

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just thinking about how people with "much better" phones are amazed my old Droid blows them out of the water with performance AND customization. Already had like 5 acquaintances and like 10 friends all ask me how to root or even if I could root their phone for them lol

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

I know how that feels. Lol. My girl got her Dinc2 and was like "my phone's better than yours!" I said, "Oh, yeah? Let's find out." My D1 put out the higher quadrant and she was pissed. She couldn't believe my phone was "better" and I'd had it nearly 2 years at that point. I told her about rooting and overclocking. Needless to say, she wanted me to do it for her.

Now that I did it for her, all her friends want me to do it. I showed my brother and now he actually calls me to tell me he's sending people my way for me to root and rom. LOL.

vatothe0

Reaction score
The process should be simplified for sure. Make it like unlocking a phone.

You request the code from the carrier to unlock the bootloader, your phone is now assumed to be rooted and out of warranty. Done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
The process should be simplified for sure. Make it like unlocking a phone.

You request the code from the carrier to unlock the bootloader, your phone is now assumed to be rooted and out of warranty. Done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Something like that bothers me though. Maybe on an older device it is ok, especially once you are probably going to upgrade anyway. However, I have had hardware issues with new devices before I even rooted. If something happens to your device which is not the result of modding then you would be out of luck.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Something like that bothers me though. Maybe on an older device it is ok, especially once you are probably going to upgrade anyway. However, I have had hardware issues with new devices before I even rooted. If something happens to your device which is not the result of modding then you would be out of luck.

What if it were to only void software warranty? Isn't that the way the Nexus S did it? Hardware malfunctions were still honored I thought.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
What if it were to only void software warranty? Isn't that the way the Nexus S did it? Hardware malfunctions were still honored I thought.

It very well could have been like that. I have little or no experience with them seeing as I have always been a VZW Droid man. I just know the basic stuff about them.

Sent From a Tear in the Space/Time Continuum...