Bootloader Discussion at VerizonWireless.com

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I have seen petitions like this before but so far it hasn't gotten anywhere. I hope that eventually there is enough interest in this to convince Verizon to allow unlocked bootloaders. I'm not 100% sure if it would ever happen though. Even though rooting voids your warranty, people still brick their phones and find ways to play the system and I think Verizon knows that. The only thing you can do at this point is to keep doing what you're doing and hope one day Verizon will allow unlocked bootloaders.

sent from my liberated bionic using tapatalk

OP
C

ccsoccer03

Reaction score
Thank you for your support

Last edited:
OP
C

ccsoccer03

Reaction score
My post is gaining traction and I would appreciate if the community would weigh in and post on this forum. If you have the time, you don't have to post some great long speech as I did, but just speak for yourself and others to the cause of this stupid encrypted bootloader.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I have seen petitions like this before but so far it hasn't gotten anywhere. I hope that eventually there is enough interest in this to convince Verizon to allow unlocked bootloaders. I'm not 100% sure if it would ever happen though. Even though rooting voids your warranty, people still brick their phones and find ways to play the system and I think Verizon knows that. The only thing you can do at this point is to keep doing what you're doing and hope one day Verizon will allow unlocked bootloaders.

I think their biggest gripe over locked bootloaders and rooting is wifi and USB internet tethering apps. If you want USB tethering or wifi tethering they wanna make sure you pay for it and know you're using it

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

the issue with this is that the rooting community is such a small overall percentage it wouldn't amount to anything.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
There might be more of us than you think. Anyway if there aren't many that root then why is Verizon making such a big deal out of it?

supercharged modified liquid 3.0
3g turbocharger
Pete's 5 slot lv 1.25GHz
19.8 linpack high score
1843 quadrant high score

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There might be more of us than you think. Anyway if there aren't many that root then why is Verizon making such a big deal out of it?

because they want every penny they can get. If people werent so cheap and actually pay for the services they use instead of tethering without paying for it they might not be so hard on locked bootloaders.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just don't get it though...there are devices with unlocked bootloaders on their network. Why lock down Motorolas only/

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

bullswife98

Reaction score
I agree with metalspring,there are more of out here than what some may realize. But to get Verizon to sway will be a big undertaking. I had read somewhere that when Verizon bought the air rights back when a law was passed to move to HD TV and everyone had to get those converter boxes that freed up the airways enough that Verizon was able to incorporate their 4g capabilities but depending on what zone you are in certain areas required certain bandwidths and devices on those areas had to have the bootloaders unlocked. It was FCC laws that are placed on these areas and if you live on these certain areas Verizon technically is breaking the law by have those devices locked. Not quite sure where I read it but its in here as a post might be on XDA forums.

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
the issue with this is that the rooting community is such a small overall percentage it wouldn't amount to anything.

Correct. And they are giving us the Nexus. Not sure why they should be expected to unlock every phone. I can only imagine the nightmare for customer service if rooting, much less flashing roms, would ever become mainstream.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Correct. And they are giving us the Nexus. Not sure why they should be expected to unlock every phone. I can only imagine the nightmare for customer service if rooting, much less flashing roms, would ever become mainstream.

One shouldn't root their device without knowing what there doing.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
One shouldn't root their device without knowing what there doing.

And yet it is shocking how many people do not know when they dive in. Never made sense to me.