books for learning how to write for android

OP
speakercode

speakercode

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that thread but I'm more of a book person and wondered if there were any good books out there. Thanks though!

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I know you may only like physical books, but I am lucky enough to have free access to books24x7 ebooks website through my job. There are a few books there that touch on Android and Development. Some I may be reading myself as well.

CoolBreeze

Reaction score
As far as books go you might want to have a browse at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders Books at the following:

I'm still working my way through the first book, it's good, but not great also the author is pretty active on the Google Android Group. I'm still waiting for someone to publish a book that completely takes someone new to Android development by the hand and teaches them in a step-by-step manner with thorough explanations of why and how things are done with great working examples.

Hopefully someday someone will publish a book like that. :)

droid15

Reaction score
What are some good books for how to write apps for android?
Do you mean code? If so I highly doubt you will be able to find any books for android development due to the vast quantity of free online tutorials. Nobody feels the need to write a book as it would easily be overshadowed by tutorials such as this.

K

killabyte

I'm still waiting for someone to publish a book that completely takes someone new to Android development by the hand and teaches them in a step-by-step manner with thorough explanations of why and how things are done with great working examples.

Hopefully someday someone will publish a book like that. :)

It would be nice, wouldn't it? I have found out though, from many things, that as you go along what doesn't appear to make any sense at first will slowly start to come together. I've been watching some youtube tutorials on java and reading some books here and there. It begins to add up as you go along it just takes a little longer for it to make sense. Like walking into the middle of a conversation and trying to figure out what's going on so you can jump into it.

For anyone that is interested or in that same boat my advice would be to just have faith in yourself. If you really want to do this it will come to you. I can recall 15 yrs ago when I didn't know crap about a computer - I didn't even know how to copy or paste and pkunzip was a terrorist to my computer usage. My attitude to most of it was "man i'm never gonna be able to do that..."

If I had believed that I wouldn't be where I am today doing what I am doing. There's very little that I don't understand or can't do on a computer. I even get paid doing it :biggrin:

Now if only the guitar would come as easily to me as technology did