Boarding pass is too big

Kenasam

Reaction score
I traveled this week by Delta airlines, and for the first time had 2 of my boarding passes sent to my Thunderbolt. They came in just fine. Then when at the airport and having to show the screen with the boarding pass symbol, the scanners couldn't recognize it because (according to one of the workers there) the symbol was too large. It filled up most of the screen. I saw another passenger nearby with the symbol on her phone, but it was a lot smaller in size on the screen and it scanned through just fine.

So my question is, is there any way to shrink down the size of the computer symbol? I couldn't figure out any way to do that. And I don't understand why it came through so large on my phone and small on the other woman's phone.
:icon_eek:

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well... you could try touching the pic of the barcode for 4 seconds or so, then save it, then open it in your pictures gallery in your applist and from there its just pinch to zoom and vice versa.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to save the pic of the symbol as a gif to my gallery. Then went to the Gallery and opened it, which opened small. That may be the solution. The only thing is, it did not save the text data that displays below the symbol which has important data the security folks wanted to see. (Sorry I forgot to mention about the text). I'm just not totally in the know yet as to how to do everything on the Thunderbolt. Some of the procedures are slightly different from the Droid that I was accustomed to.
Thanks for the suggestion, it did work for the symbol!

turdbogls

Reaction score
are you rooted?
only reason i ask is because you could take a screen capture of the image, then use the stock photo editor to crop the image. this will get the image and the necessary text and anything else you want.

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
Rooted?

are you rooted?
only reason i ask is because you could take a screen capture of the image, then use the stock photo editor to crop the image. this will get the image and the necessary text and anything else you want.

I do not know what it means to be rooted. Can you explain that to me?

Bmitchell1876

Reaction score
An easier solution is to hold the screen further away from the scanner ... Believe it it not most employees that use scanners everyday have no idea that there is a little red laser than scans the barcode... If one barcode is bigger than what they are used to scanning then they HAVE TO hold the item further away so the scanner can see ALL of it ...

Hopefully this works for you... Let me know ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

thelopenator

Reaction score
are you rooted?

rooting means you unlock your phone to have its full potential. you hack it to do anything you want. you can change the software, to browsing the phone better, to manipulating files or anything. kind of like jailbreaking a iphone is you know what that is? (only rooting a droid is SOSOSO much better, jailbreaking a iphone does nothing for ya! i hate apple...but thats in my opinion)

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
rooting

are you rooted?

rooting means you unlock your phone to have its full potential. you hack it to do anything you want. you can change the software, to browsing the phone better, to manipulating files or anything. kind of like jailbreaking a iphone is you know what that is? (only rooting a droid is SOSOSO much better, jailbreaking a iphone does nothing for ya! i hate apple...but thats in my opinion)

Well, I'm definitely not rooted, nor do I know how to go about doing it.:blink:

thelopenator

Reaction score
Well its not hard what with the easy click method

this was sent from my phone that is cellular

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
An easier solution is to hold the screen further away from the scanner ... Believe it it not most employees that use scanners everyday have no idea that there is a little red laser than scans the barcode... If one barcode is bigger than what they are used to scanning then they HAVE TO hold the item further away so the scanner can see ALL of it ...

Hopefully this works for you... Let me know ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I probably won't be flying any time soon, so won't be able to test your idea. The thing about the scanners in the boarding area--there's not much room to put a paper or phone under it. I don't know if they're portable or detachable--didn't see anyone pick it up.

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
rooting

I just spent some time reading all about rooting on the Thunderbolt. At this time, I am not going to do it. Down the road, maybe, but I don't really need to do it. For boarding passes, I will probably revert to the paper printout.

Sorry everyone, I'm just not quite as techy as you all! :blink:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

thelopenator

Reaction score

I just spent some time reading all about rooting on the Thunderbolt. At this time, I am not going to do it. Down the road, maybe, but I don't really need to do it. For boarding passes, I will probably revert to the paper printout.

Sorry everyone, I'm just not quite as techy as you all! :blink:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

Yeah man I feel ya. Me personally I couldn't have a android phone without having it rooted. (it just gets boring for me hah)

p.kusmierski

Reaction score
Kenasam,

I had the very same problem with my Nexus One, and I could not get the screen far enough from the scanner, because most of the time there was limited space in front of the scanning window.

What I tried first wast to use GIMP to add some white space around the 2d barcode, and it worked fine, but required some work every time I received a boarding pass.
I had this idea of creating an app that would just display the pass in the right size, and not do auto rotation, as this prevented the scanner from reading my passes a few times. So in cooperation with a buddy of mine we finally did it!
Check it out, you can either search for boardit on the market or visit the site:
BoardIt – a boarding pass viewer for Android

It's paid and costs $2. We're open to suggestions, and if we see enough interest we have already tested decoding of the barcode, so in the future we will probably add the display of the data that's contained in the pass.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Cheers!

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
Hey, just now read your post. I'll check out your app! Thanks for letting me know about it! I'm not going to be flying soon, so don't know if I can try it out or not. I did save my old boarding pass on my phone--maybe I can view it through the app. Anyway, I'll definitely check it out. :)

Kenasam,

I had the very same problem with my Nexus One, and I could not get the screen far enough from the scanner, because most of the time there was limited space in front of the scanning window.

What I tried first wast to use GIMP to add some white space around the 2d barcode, and it worked fine, but required some work every time I received a boarding pass.
I had this idea of creating an app that would just display the pass in the right size, and not do auto rotation, as this prevented the scanner from reading my passes a few times. So in cooperation with a buddy of mine we finally did it!
Check it out, you can either search for boardit on the market or visit the site:
BoardIt – a boarding pass viewer for Android

It's paid and costs $2. We're open to suggestions, and if we see enough interest we have already tested decoding of the barcode, so in the future we will probably add the display of the data that's contained in the pass.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Cheers!

OP
Kenasam

Kenasam

Reaction score
I now have the BoardIt app on my phone and tried it with my old boarding pass I had saved. It worked as you described. The symbol size is better and can be easily resized. Probably very good for those airport scanners. But the text does not display and apparently is a separate issue--where it states your zone, seat, flight#, boarding time, departure time and date. I especially need to quickly view my zone and seat assignment as I can't rely on my memory. Or perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious? (You can tell that I'm not experienced in all of this!)