Blur vs Blurless Question

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Alright, so I understand the difference between Blur and Blurless and know that Blur is in reference to the usage of the MotoBlur UI. I also understand that running a Blurless ROM is much snappier than something with Blur (I like that feature).

But, what I'm concerned with is what EXACTLY am I losing going Blurless? I don't need a full itemized list, but just a few examples would be good enough for me to get the idea. From what I've read, it seems like MotoBlur is mostly a social applications feature (i.e. facebook, twitter, etc. etc.) Is that all it affects or is there more than that? And how exactly does it affect those social program? Do they not work at all? Just taking away push-notifications? What exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Snow02

Reaction score
It's many of the stock apps. Messaging, camera, dialer, gallery, etc. Blurless roms remove those and put the aosp apps in their place. Personally, I can't stand aosp roms on the x.

OP
c_m_chance

c_m_chance

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but being slightly new to the custom ROM world, what exactly does aosp stand for?

And so does Blurless basically mean they they are removing the stock apps and replacing them with their own?

Snow02

Reaction score
Android open source project. Aosp roms remove as much of the motorola code as possible and replace it with aosp counterparts.

Snow02

Reaction score
Ah! I see. So, basically, they attempt to replace the Blur files with their own. (But I'm guessing they don't always work as well.)

No, they replace them with files from the android open source repository. So they're google's files. Basically it's an attempt at a nexus-like rom. As many original android files as possible.

lerit50

Reaction score
Believe me, battery life and performance increase dramatically when you go blurless. Its like a whole 'nother phone.

DroidForums app on my Angelic D2G

Snow02

Reaction score
Believe me, battery life and performance increase dramatically when you go blurless. Its like a whole 'nother phone.

Nonsense. I get 20+ hours to a charge on stock.

lerit50

Reaction score

Nonsense. I get 20+ hours to a charge on stock.

Battery life is subjective to each person. Something you can't judge from person to person.

Let's just say I was getting around 8 hours battery on blur and now get 12 hours with the same usage. That's a 50% improvement. That's dramatic for me.

mcp770

Reaction score
I agree with that for. 340 but since trying gb with all the blur I get pretty good battery life.

Reaction score
The best way to answer this question is to try a blurless ROM or two, and see if you're missing something. Not everyone uses blur features, and there is a chance you might not even miss them. Some ROM's even have blurless and blurry versions. Just to make things difficult, some ROM's have "some" blur, while others have none. Give a few ROMS a try, you'll learn a lot about your phone and Android in the process.

OP
c_m_chance

c_m_chance

Reaction score
The best way to answer this question is to try a blurless ROM or two, and see if you're missing something. Not everyone uses blur features, and there is a chance you might not even miss them. Some ROM's even have blurless and blurry versions. Just to make things difficult, some ROM's have "some" blur, while others have none. Give a few ROMS a try, you'll learn a lot about your phone and Android in the process.

Well said. I think I will try a couple and see the differences.

Thanks everyone for your input.

meaker

Reaction score
I'm on liberty rom. Now I love this rom but do miss some blur.. Like I miss the photo editing in the gallery. There are other market apps to do this with..... The blur email app work much better then asop email app. I use it for my road runner pop email. I hate the fact as soon as I check them on my pc they are gone from the phone. Also no bulk delete option in the trash file. I haven't found a good market app to use as a replacement..
Everything else blur I could care less about.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

meaker

Reaction score
The regular email app. I'm using it to check my road runner email. I didn't notice anything different with gmail blur and blurless.