Adding blur to blurless roms

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
So most of these roms are blurless, but what if I wanted to add some blur (like blur alarm clock for example).

Adding blur_alarmclock.apk to /system/app and setting permissions will not do it.

So the big question is...what are the minimum blur files that have to exist before anything works?

OP
ILikeWaffles

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
FYI this is what I compiled from other forums...

Blur alarm specific...
For those of you that felt in love with the Blur Alarm and looking for a way to add it back. I have figured out the missing files beside the apk that goes in the system\app. This has been tested with sucess for Fission ROM v2.0.1.

Adding Blur alarm

• system\app\BlurAlarmClock.apk
  • framework\blur-res.apk
  • framework\com.motorola.blur.library.utilities.jar

Hope it help.

Others blur stuff...
Just because it is an .apk, does not necessarily mean it will install. With that, if it does install, it may not work correctly either. Some .apk files (blur files for instance) have other dependencies such as the moto-res.apk or the blur-res.apk files that come with the stock Motorola ROM's. These additional apk's have the dependencies built into them that allow the blur components to run correctly. Without the necessary configuration (not exactly sure, as I have not done ROM development) these blur apks will not work.

My guess with blur apps such as the blur camera, is that they do not rely on the moto-res or blur-res files in order to run, or only need a modification to a lib file to work correctly. Again, I'm not a programmer, but have a decent amount of IT knowledge and background for basic ideas and concepts. If you can find an answer that allows you to install what you are looking for, I would very much like to know about it, as many people here ask the same question you are asking.

However, (and I hate to sound redundant) the blur-less ROMS are created because many people dislike blur. Along with that... If I can find an answer to help you out, I will be sure to post back here as well!

Sorry to sound repetitive or a downer, just trying to provide you with any info I have.

So I guess it varies from ROM to ROM what you will need.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're on a gb leak rom (apex, zs, liberty) you can use the extracted liberty customizer folder to install all or some of the blur apks. Just open it, pick what you want (ex. Blur alarm), and install. Easy. This does not work with cm though (at least in my case)

CM74D2

lizard

Reaction score
I hate to bring up a now seldom talked about rom, but I always liked Squid's rom for the ease with which one could go from blur to blurless or anything in between.

OP
ILikeWaffles

ILikeWaffles

Reaction score
I know about the liberty customizer, but the email wasn't functioning properly.

Squidly was my favorite...I ran it for 6 months.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blur email app kicks the AOSP email app's butt...Blur Calendar is also superior. I have daily thoughts about going back to Zombie to get them back, it's a tragedy that no one is enhancing the AOSP email app/calendar.

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
I do agree that blur camera is way better. Calendar: I have three kids so I don't have enough of a life to keep track of :p Alarm: an alarm is an alarm. Both aosp and blur alarms go RIIIIIINNNNGGGG. Email: I use Gmail only so I don't need it. Most ROMS out there have an add on for blur camera, or in my case, the MIUI camera. So you can see why I'm blurless :)

Droid 2 MIUI 1.7.22.1

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Aosp alarm is jarring. The blur alarm had a gradual volume increase to wake you up gently. That's what I miss (yes, I know there are alarm apps that do that)

CM74D2

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
Aosp alarm is jarring. The blur alarm had a gradual volume increase to wake you up gently. That's what I miss (yes, I know there are alarm apps that do that)

CM74D2

I like jarring. Before I got this phone, I used to have my wife bite me between the toes to wake me up.

Droid 2 MIUI 1.7.22.1