Bluetooth Headset functionality with Droid

Reaction score
I have the Plantronics Voyager Pro. It's a great bluetooth piece and I have never had issues. When I had my Crackberry Storm, I could press and hold the button on the earpiece for a few seconds and it would ask me to say a voice command. I cannot get that to work with the Moto Droid. Any ideas on how to fix that?

If this has already been addressed, just point me to the thread and I will delete this one. Thanks.

patriot839

Reaction score
this has been addressed but thats ok I know it seems like somthing so easy even the cheapest phones have it but THE DROID DOES NOT it wilol not allow hands free voice dial via bluetooth somthing with the software or whatever motorola says they are fixing it but who knows when that will be

naman919

Reaction score
Yes, it is a current limitation of Android. It could be addressed in the official 2.1 release for the Droid. I would highly doubt it though.

I have the same headset and used to have a Storm/Tour. I miss this feature too.

The Droid's pitfalls are far outweighed by it's incredible advantages though. :)

DroidFan

Reaction score
The only workaround I've been able to figure out (which I use often) is I have the Voice Dialer on my main home screen. I'll use that to vocally pull up the right contact (which is damn accurate BTW!) and then let it connect to my bluetooth when I hit "connect."

the other option (which I also use) is make one-touch short cuts for the most dialed numbers, which then connects to the bluetooth...

No other way... it's the one thing I miss about my BB Pearl as well...but that's the only thing as of yet.

jismail

Reaction score
Are there any brands that have "Smart" BT headsets that have the commands and keeps contacts resident on it? (like cars do) I heard that is the only way to currently use hands free dialing with Android at the moment.

griz8791

Reaction score
This is the best explanation I have ever seen of the cause and current status of the Bluetooth voice dialing problem:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/99067#99067

Here is the key passage:

"Google's published Android OS source code actually has the software to support activating the built-in Voice Dialer via BT. However, it was disabled in the DROID (as well as almost all other Android phones). This code was disabled in two key places (search the source for DISABLE_BT_VOICE_DIALING). In one place, the built-in Voice Dialer was told not to register as supporting BT. When it was disabled the developer noted that the Voice Dialer provided a poor experience over BT because it poorly handles the lower-frequency BT input and 'still requires visual confirmation.'

Critically, in the second key location, the Bluetooth handsfree handler was told to ignore any application that says it can support BT voice dialing. Because of this, the BT device is told the DROID does not support 'voice recognition activation,' so the button press is never sent to the DROID. This functionality cannot be restored by outside developers. This is why a third-party application alone cannot completely restore normal BT voice dialing."