bluetooth audio issue

fl2oftmd

Reaction score
I upgraded from a Droid X to a Razr. My headset is a Plantronics Voyager Pro+. I didn't have a problem being heard on the X but, since pairing with the Razr, People I've tried to speak with say my voice is garbled. My brother said it sounds like I'm in a tin can 100 miles away. I tried listening to my phone on my wifes phone and the audio is garbled. Anyone else have an issue or advice ? THANKS!

OP
fl2oftmd

fl2oftmd

Reaction score
I did in fact un-pair and re-pair the headset. Still having the problem. I did however, call Plantronics and they are going to send another headset. I guess I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Thank you for replying.

SallyC

Reaction score
Did you have your wifi on while doing this? I'm wondering if your BT and wifi are bumping into each other.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
SallyC said:
Did you have your wifi on while doing this? I'm wondering if your BT and wifi are bumping into each other.

That's a new one. Have other peeps had that problem?

As for headset problems, I have used 3 different headsets and never had that problem.

SallyC

Reaction score
That's a new one. Have other peeps had that problem?

As for headset problems, I have used 3 different headsets and never had that problem.

It's not unheard of for wifi and bluetooth to have compatibility issues. I've had some myself, and read a number of posts from other folks who've had trouble when running both simultaneously. I know a lot has been done in the last number of years to make them co-exist better, but it still is a possible source of problems. Other sources of interference can be other BT devices or microwave ovens.

As I understand the problem, when a Bluetooth device encounters interference on a channel (because wifi is on the same frequency), it deals with the problem by hopping to the next channel and trying again. This can cause a slowing or stuttering of the transmission. I'm wondering if this is what's producing a "garbled" sound for the OP. Best way to test is to turn off wifi and see if the problem goes away.

I'm also wondering if the OP's change to the Razr also was a change to ICS. If so, this might be an ICS issue which Plantronics might address.

OP
fl2oftmd

fl2oftmd

Reaction score
I had not thought of my wifi being an issue. I did turn off the wifi on my razr as well as the wifi on my home computer network. The audio issue is still present. I would like to thank you for the reply's though.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Let us know how it works when you get the replacement headset. Hopefully the problem will be resolved.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
SallyC said:
It's not unheard of for wifi and bluetooth to have compatibility issues. I've had some myself, and read a number of posts from other folks who've had trouble when running both simultaneously. I know a lot has been done in the last number of years to make them co-exist better, but it still is a possible source of problems. Other sources of interference can be other BT devices or microwave ovens.

As I understand the problem, when a Bluetooth device encounters interference on a channel (because wifi is on the same frequency), it deals with the problem by hopping to the next channel and trying again. This can cause a slowing or stuttering of the transmission. I'm wondering if this is what's producing a "garbled" sound for the OP. Best way to test is to turn off wifi and see if the problem goes away.

I'm also wondering if the OP's change to the Razr also was a change to ICS. If so, this might be an ICS issue which Plantronics might address.

That's why I love this place..learn something new every day. I always assumes that Bluetooth and wifi would have different frequencies as they also have different addresses.
I knew about the bluetooth interference from other Bluetooth devices from going into best buy and trying to use my headset to talk on. It is an utter waste of time